Wellness

Tips to Help Stay Focused This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Winter break is over and now we are all scrambling to memorize our course schedule and dragging ourselves to the bookstore to buy textbooks. It’s okay, we all want summer break to be here as soon as possible. For now, here are some tips to help you stay focused this semester.

Manage Your Time

There are many things you can do this semester to manage your time effectively. The best thing to get to help you stay on track is getting a planner. When students have planners, they are able to write down important dates for the semester and their homework. This will help you focus on the important things to get done during the week.

Another way you can manage your time is setting reminders on your phone. If you know you have a meeting, a paper, or something important to do, set a reminder so that your phone will alert you to do it.

Get Help if You Need It

The best thing to do if you are struggling in a class or just need help is to talk to your professor! It seems daunting but they are there to help you. 

The Study is also an amazing resource on campus that is there to help you with your classes. They can help with most gen-ed classes. 

You can also find a few friends in your class to make a study group with this is super helpful to do in the beginning of the semester to get on top of things but also helpful during finals week.

Keep Yourself Functioning

I cannot stress this enough, SLEEP! The better you sleep, the better you will perform in classes and stay more focused. You don’t have to radically change your sleeping habits but getting 7-9 hours of sleep a night will help you stay more focused.

Keeping a balanced diet can help you stay more focused. You don’t have to completely cut bad foods but eating a plate of vegetables or fruit will make your body happy and make you more focused.

Working out will also help you stay more focused. Exercise can help relieve stress and make you happier. With less stress and a happier state of mind, you are bound to excel in all your classes.

Make Time For Yourself

Join a club! Hang out with friends! Socialize!

If you spend a little of time focusing on making friends and staying social, you will have more energy for class and stay motivated.

At least once a day, do something that makes you happy. Having something to look forward to at the end of the day will make you want to get work done during the day!

Lucy is studying Communications and Creative Writing at the University of Kentucky. She loves to write, try new DIY's, and binge watch New Girl.