This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Whether you like to be ahead of the trends or you prefer to stick to the basics, finding your personal style can be tough.  Today, there are so many choices to make when it comes to clothing and it can be easy to get overwhelmed by it all.  With that being said, here are 3 tips to get you well on your way to discovering a style that is uniquely you.

Get inspo

One of the first, and easiest, things you can do to figure out your personal style is to start collecting inspiration.  Log into Pinterest or go buy a few fashion magazines and collect a few images that really speak to you.  You may notice a pattern in what types of colors, prints, and cuts you gravitate towards.  Take these patterns and think about how you can incorporate them into your daily wardrobe.

Know your body

One of the things I find most helpful in styling outfits is knowing what works on my body.  It’s important to know what shapes and cuts are the most flattering to help you feel more confident in your clothes.  Also, take note of what colors work best with your skin tone, eyes, and hair.  Making your best features pop will always take your outfit to the next level.

Try something new

It’s always a good idea to experiment with different styles while trying to determine what best suits you.  A great way to do this is by shopping second-hand.  Thrift shopping is perfect for when you want to try a style that is out of your comfort zone, but you don’t want to spend too much money.  Don’t be afraid to get out there and wear something you’ve never worn before!

It might seem like a difficult process, but once you find your favorite look, your confidence will skyrocket.  Don’t be afraid to try new things and push yourself out of your comfort zone.  Now, get out there and get searching!  You won’t regret it.

Emily Sheets is a junior a the University of Kentucky majoring in Merchandising, Apparel and Textiles and minoring in Spanish. In her free time, Emily enjoys reading, spending time with friends and family, and styling outfits. She is passionate about her field of study and hopes to pursue a career in the fashion industry one day. You can find her on Instagram @emilysheets1002.