Recruitment Through a Gamma Chi’s Eyes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Disaffiliation from my chapter proved more difficult than expected. I thought not representing my chapter by giving up my letters and losing social interaction with my friends challenged me. Disguising my social media made me fly under the radar and practically impossible to find. I did this all in the name of being a Gamma Chi.

A Gamma Chi is a woman who is in a sorority, but she disaffiliates from her chapter to help counsel women going through recruitment. These women are called potential new members, or PNMs. As a senior sorority woman, I have been on both sides of recruitment: a PNM  and a recruiter.

However, this year was very different. I applied to one of the most sought after positions in the panhellenic community and was blessed with the opportunity a group of ladies to their own chapter.

The experience is something that I am proud to say has changed my view on the panhellenic community. Throughout the week, I bonded with over 100 panhellenic women from all 14 chapters on UK’s campus. I made friendships that felt like they had stood the test of time rather than being a fresh two weeks old.

Throughout the recruitment process, these ladies were emotional supports that were severely needed during long training days and during the even longer, scorching hot recruitment rounds.

These ladies are people I probably would have never met if I saw them walking to class in their letters. I would have been to shy to approach them or make a quick judgment that would keep myself from saying hello. But something changed for the better during these short two weeks.

My love for the panhellenic community grew immensely throughout the recruitment process. Instead of only seeing myself as a part of one chapter, I felt as if I belonged with in a larger community. I always had, but this process was the first time I truly felt a bond between every chapter on campus. This a feeling that I am forever grateful for.

The job taught me how to also face my fears and get out of my comfort zone. Instead of quietly observing, I was thrown into a position that required me to do a lot of talking, a lot of listening and handle necessary conflicts. I am not a confrontational person, however, this opportunity has given me the courage to ask difficult questions and to handle even tougher situations.    

Most importantly, I became the individual that 11 lovely ladies relied heavily on throughout the process. They looked to me for guidance and a source of information. The impression I left on them would be the first taste of Greek life that they would have.

During recruitment, I witnessed the good, the bad and the ugly on both sides. I saw a lot of smiles, looks of confusions and the occasional tear. The two week recruitment forced me to handle situations that I would feel uncomfortable handling prior to the two weeks.

My love for the panhellenic community has grown entirely and watching myself grow into a better leader made the sweat, the late nights and the long hours more than worth it.

If only I were not graduating so I could experience the amazement in this process once more.

Body photo by Megan Rohrbach

Megan Rohrbach is a senior at the University of Kentucky. She is majoring in print journalism and minoring in criminology. Her dream jobs include working for the FBI, book publishing and writing for a women's magazine. When she's not in class or writing, she can be found watching her favorite Netflix shows, taking lots of naps, raving about the Ohio State Buckeyes and trying out a new makeup look. You can follow her on Instagram and Twitter @themegmeg37.