How Working in Customer Service Has Changed My Outlook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Working in customer service, as many can relate, has its ups and downs. If you are outgoing or a people-person, it is the right place for you. However, that does not mean it does not come with challenges.

Interacting with the public and meeting new people is easily one of the best parts of working in customer service. I find myself feeding off the energy I get from the kind-hearted individuals that come into the restaurants, retail stores or gyms that I have worked in. Having conversations with these people always results in nice connections or even great friendships. It would be ideal if every interaction could be as pleasant as these ones are.

Then there are the bad ones. The demanding and impatient customers that feel as if they are entitled. Of course these interactions can sometimes be due to underlying circumstances but nonetheless, most customer service staff would agree that these are the worst. Not only do some individuals blame servers or sales associates for prices of the items but also they also do not use their manners. A simple “please” or “thank you” is often out of the question for these customers.

It might sound weird, but these less-than-desirable interactions have taught me the most. The bad interactions with customers, clients and guests make me appreciate the enjoyable conversations that much more. These conversations also motivate me to always be kind, compassionate and understanding when I am speaking to someone who works in customer service.

I can always notice, amongst my friends, who has worked in customer service before and who has not. It is evident in the way that we speak to our servers, sales associates, and those in other positions of service. The simple things such as manners and friendliness matter a lot. You might not think that something as simple as the tone in which you speak to someone while they are on the job really matters, but it does. After all, we are all human and we are all affected by each other’s words and demeanor so let’s make the customer service world a charming one.

Hi all, I'm Paige. You could find me outside or making art. I'm inspired to take on another semester leading a great group of girls at UK!