Wellness

How to Survive When You’re Literally Always SIck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Always being sick gets real tiring real fast. Throughout my forever sick childhood, and now my forever sick adulthood, I have learned a few tips that help keep me kicking.

• Water really is that important

While it is not going to have immediate results that you can see water definitely is your best friend healthy or not. Staying hydrated is so important to speedy recoveries, and if you ever have to get an IV or blood drawn to help with your unfortunate illness it will be a lot easier for them to access your veins (result: just one quick needle poke instead of five)!

• Start taking vitamins

I am absolutely terrible at remembering to take my vitamins. However when I do remember to take them – and take them for a couple of weeks regularly – I notice a big difference in my energy levels and feel overall “healthier.” My favorite vitamins are the One-a-Day gummy vitamins (gummy vitamins or go home).

I also suggest having some medicine stashed away for emergencies. Nothing is worse than feeling sicker than a dog and having to go out to run errands. I suggest getting some immune support from your local pharmacy! Emergen-C makes little powder sticks that taste pretty similar to pixie sticks, and Zicam swabs are good for helping once you notice any early symptoms.

• Try to stay on a normal sleep schedule

I know it is nearly impossible for anyone – especially working college students – to have anything resembling a normal sleep schedule, but even an attempt at one will have you feeling more energized and a little more put together. I try to get at least seven hours of sleep a night (keyword: try) and when I do I definitely feel like my body is happier with me compared to a five hour night.

• Eat plenty of fruits and veggies

I am a super picky eater, so sometimes I have a bit of difficulty making sure I am getting plenty of healthy foods in my diet. When I notice that I am struggling more than usual, I try to grab a C-Boost Bolthouse Smoothie to ensure that I am getting plenty of vitamins to help my immune system get to work. Homemade smoothies are always a good option and many places are now making smoothies packed full of fruits and veggies – Jamba Juice and Panera are some of my favorites!

I hope these little tips help you keep some germs away, or at least help kick them to the curb! Note: I am not a doctor, just a college student doing her best.

My hair is usually frizzy and I’m usually craving coffee. I’m a senior at U.K. majoring in Secondary Education with a focus in Social Studies and minoring in Anthropology. I’m so happy to be writing for HerCampus, and so blessed to be on our executive board for my senior year!