Wellness

The Flu: a National Epidemic That Comes Every Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo from MedHealthDaily

GEORGETOWN, Ky. – Flu season is upon us, and it seems as if it is only getting worse.

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the 2017-2018 flu season is already on the path to being worse than last year with 20 deaths thus far.

Flu season typically ranges from October through March but varies each year.

The CDC has also reported similarities of the 2014-2015 flu season, a season of high severity, to the U.S.’s current season.

Samantha Cooper, who works in registration at Georgetown Community Hospital, said the hospital has already seen more flu cases this season than this time last year, agreeing with the CDC’s report.

“So far this season, we have seen the most flu cases in late December and early January but it usually peaks in February,” said Cooper, adding that it will probably only get worse.

Casey Collins, a Georgetown, Ky. resident who has never contracted the flu, said he is nervous for the remainder of the flu season.

“I’ve never had the flu but I heard it’s getting worse,” said Collins. “I just hope this luck I’ve had continues.”

As for Emily Beaucham, another Georgetown, Ky. resident, the flu scare comes every year for her after contracting the flu two years ago.

“I got the flu shot back in October and I got it last year, too,” said Beaucham. “I hope it works this time.”

Beaucham said she is still cautious because plenty of her coworkers are currently out of work because of the flu.

The CDC recommends a flu vaccination as the first step to preventing the flu. Other precautions include limiting contact with others who appear to be sick, staying home if you are sick, washing your hands frequently and covering your cough.

Hannah Woosley is a senior at the University of Kentucky majoring in print journalism and minoring in history. She is a staff writer and co-editor for Her Campus UK. She is also a columnist and assistant opinions editor for UK’s student-run school newspaper, The Kentucky Kernel. In her free time, she enjoys being outdoors hiking, swimming and practicing yoga. She adores animals and has two, six-year-old cats. You can catch Hannah writing an article, watching her favorite shows on Netflix, drinking an iced coffee or enjoying some time outdoors.