free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What I Learned My First Week Working An Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Going into college, I always knew I wanted to do an internship. I remember listening to my cousin’s stories about her internship and how “adult” it felt to sit in on meetings or be trusted to help with big projects. So, over the summer before my senior year of college, I applied to over 20 internships and heard back from a little less than half of them. After sending in some writing samples, participating in a phone interview, and attending a “new intern” orientation, I finally started my internship last week! Even though I’m still adjusting to my new environment, here’s five things I have learned as a student intern. 

1. It’s hard to dress business casual- I have taken for granted my days of wearing shorts, jeans, and leggings. The week before my internship, I had to go shopping for “trousers.” Instead of t-shirts, I am wearing “blouses” and “cardigans.” So, make sure to prepare a business casual wardrobe because I was not very prepared for my uniform change!

2. Ask questions..LOTS OF THEM!- My internship requires me to use several websites that I’m not very familiar with. In fear of destroying the content on the websites, I make sure to ask my supervisors lots of questions before I post anything. 

3. Join in on meetings- My first week, I was invited to join in on two meetings. I was even asked to share my opinion by the boss!

4. Make sure you’re completing all your tasks- Everyday my supervisor provides me with tasks to be completed. Whenever I finish early, I make sure to keep working and testing out new ideas which I then run by my supervisor. 

Even though I’m still adjusting to my “adult” role, I’m excited for the rest of my internship!

Aggie is an English major with a concentration in professional writing at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
UIC Contributor.