In Time for Finals! Tips for Essays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

For you last minute writers (sometimes I’m as guilty as anybody) here are some last minute tips for all of your final papers in these last few weeks of the semester, which will hopefully make your processes much less painful.

1. Get Started with Outlines

These are great tools to transfer your ideas from brain to page. Even if your outline is simply a list of the points you need to cover, or short descriptions of paragraphs, it’s helpful for organizing your thoughts, and most importantly, getting started. If you’re overflowing with ideas, an outline can help shave the quantity down to what’s essential. Overall, this process helps erode the anxiety of approaching a blank page and defeats the fear of beginning a first draft.

2. Continue by Drafting

Unless you have 30 minutes to start and complete a term paper before the e-mail submission deadline, drafting is recommended to get a good grade. For this step, remember these things.

First Drafts are always bad. There’s no way to get around it, and they’re just part of the process, but after getting it down, the material can always be shaped.

Second Drafts are a product of time. After you finish your first draft, put it away. Give it a few hours, days, or a week, then look at it with fresh eyes. Maybe even draft two before letting others look at it. You have to solidify your intentions (and eliminate distracting spelling and grammatical errors) before opening your work to other thoughts.

Subsequent Drafts make you stronger, so conquer them!

3. Sorry, You’re Never Really Done

Final Drafts are fictional. There is never a final draft, so leave your work open for suggestions and adjustments. As many have paraphrased, the only time creation is finished is when it’s abandoned (or turned in).

BONUS: Writers write; but most importantly, they re-write; and good writers write (not procrastinate!) until the last minute

The process is painful, but it’s even worse to repeat a class! So use this advice to finish up your pesky projects and move on with life.

Campus: The University of Illinois at ChicagoMajor: English; concentration in Media, Rhetorical, and Cultural StudiesYear: JunoirNathan Oelker transferred to UIC from Waubonsee Community College, a school no one's ever heard of, for the Spring 2013 semester. He hails from Somonauk, Illinois, a town even more people have never heard of, where the skyline consists of a water tower and grain elevator.Oelker expects to one day utilize his writing, communication, media, and creative skills wherever they can be applied, in exchange for a decent living amid the immense competition and challenges of global capitalism facing the millenial generation. Aside from a writer, Oelker is also a filmmaker (director, screenwriter, editor, actor, and cinematographer), comedy enthusiast, Second City student, Anglophile, oil painter, tired long-distance commuter, and sugar addict. Oelker's reputation as an azúcaradicto is notoriously voracious, but he cuts down on the pastries and candy when his cavities start to hurt. That being said, upon reaching old age, Oelker plans on replacing Wilford Brimley as the diabeetus spokesman for Liberty Medical.
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.