Style > Beauty

Step By Step Instructions To Perfect Skin… Seriously.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

What many skincare gurus do not mention is that each person has a different skin type. Many people do not realize this, as they gain skincare tips from people with a completely different skin type. When going about a skincare routine that is not fit to your classification, you will not receive the complete benefits that you should. If you do not know what type of skin you have – don’t worry! You are not alone. Since this is a topic that is not always explained in detail, stay tuned to see exactly what your day and night skincare routine should consist of and why it matters!

African american girl laying in grass with pretty eyes
Unsplash

OILY SKIN

If your skin begins to look a little too shiny or feel uncomfortably greasy throughout the day, your skin falls into the category of oily. People with this skin type may be more acne prone than others. There are many things you can do to help your skin stay fresh and healthy!

SKINCARE ROUTINE

When you first wake up in the morning, be sure to cleanse your face. Turn the temperature to warm to open up your pores, in order to retrieve the dirt and oil that has built up. If you are more acne prone, try a foaming wash that has benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. The former might be found in washes that do not foam as much, the latter will have suds. Any face cleanser that is scented likely has components found in it that are harmful to the skin, without many helpful attributes. You may also try using a scrubbing tool to help remove unwanted dirt in your pores, especially blackheads. When you are done scrubbing lightly in circular motions, rinse your face with cold water to close your pores. Using cold water at the end of your wash will also help reduce redness and close up the open acne. Pat your face dry with a towel – do not wipe harshly. 

Next, it is optional to use a toner, such as Witch Hazel, to purify and reduce impurities. Put a few drops onto a cotton ball and dab onto the surface of your face. If this becomes too harsh on the skin, you can also switch to only using this nightly. 

After this, be sure to moisturize. I know, I know, having oily skin might cause you to not want to add any extra unwanted moisture. What some people might not acknowledge is that a contributing factor into having oily skin may also be the lack of moisture. When your skin is stripped of its natural oils, it over produces more to compensate, and ends up becoming greasy-looking. A moisturizer will not bring forth unnecessary oils, only the essentials. If you are concerned that your moisturizer produces acne, try a product that specifically says ¨for acne ̈ or ¨for oily skin ̈.  Products like this may contain salicylic acid, aiding in minimizing blemishes. Be sure to only use moisturizers that say they are for the face, not body. A body lotion is made thicker than something specifically crafted for your face, therefore it is less light and will likely clog your pores, causing you to break out. 

If you plan to do your makeup, prime your face with a base primer. If you already have oily skin, try something that says  ̈pore minimizing ̈ or  ̈mattening,” as opposed to “glowy” or “dewey.” The first two will be formulated with non-shiny components, as opposed to something that will heighten your glossiness in a negative way. Foundations and press powders, found in brands such as Neutrogena, might have a particular line of ingredients that are catered to those who have oily or acne-prone skin, helping to not only reduce the appearance of blemishes, but also medicate them while you wear your makeup. Be sure to finish off the look with a setting spray that reads ¨matte ̈ or ¨long-lasting ̈ to keep your makeup in place all day long without leaving an oily residue!

In the night, remember to take off ALL of your makeup before heading to bed. Makeup wipes help get foundations and concealers off better than a liquid remover (although liquid remover is helpful for removing mascara). Be sure to wash your face just how you did in the morning, use a toner if you like, and moisturize. If you have some blemishes, try a spot treatment, especially one with benzoyl peroxide included. There are different percentages that you can find for these, depending on the level of advanced treatment needed. 

Two girls laying in the grass with flowers covering their faces
Unsplash
DRY SKIN

If your skin feels tight after washing your face or throughout your day, and if your skin ever peels or gets flaky, you may have dry skin. Someone in this category might have sensitive or easily itchy skin, especially on their arms and legs. The biggest thing to focus on is hydrating your skin and body. Use products that are full of natural vitamins, as well as hyaluronic acid infused. This element is the absolute most hydrating ingredient (while it also works to prevent wrinkles) and is very important if you have dry skin. 

SKINCARE ROUTINE

Clean your face with warm water to open your pores and bring forth unwanted grime. Use a foaming cleanser that is gentle with no harsh chemicals. Look for a wash with hyaluronic acid for an extra hydro-boost. Some washes may have exfoliating microbeads, which will assist in getting rid of dead skin and smoothing out the texture. Rinse with cold water and pat your face dry – do not rub, for it will irritate or redden your skin. A toner is not necessary, since it will likely overdry and strip away too many vital oils. 

The most important step is to moisturize. Use a product that is labeled for dry skin specifically, or with hyaluronic acid. A daily moisturizer with sunscreen included in the formula will help shield your skin from the harmful rays of the sun, even if it is not a sunny day. If you would like to amplify your daily dewiness, use a skin oil serum with vitamins such as (but not limited to) E and K. Examples of this include coconut oil or rosehip oil. Rosehip oil moisturizes with vitamin A, while promoting skin regeneration. This can overtime help with acne scarring and aging. 

When you are ready to get glam, be sure to prep your skin with a hydrating primer under your makeup. Foundations and setting sprays that read ¨Pro-glow ̈ or ¨Dewy ̈  help keep your skin fresh without becoming dehydrated. Always remember to take off all of your makeup and repeat your regime at the end of the night. Do not skip washing your face just because it doesn’t ¨feel ̈ dirty. 

Photo of Yanxi Yu, a Vanderbilt student
Yanxi Yu
COMBINATION SKIN

This can be difficult to diagnose, since it is a mixture of the first two categories. A person with combination skin may notice dryness and flakiness in their cheeks, then experience oil and shine in their T-Zone (forehead, nose, and chin). Acne presence is usually due to stress, diet, hormones, or unkempt skin. If your skin type falls into this classification, it is known as combination. 

SKINCARE ROUTINE

Just as one would with dry or oily skin, cleanse your face morning and night, beginning with warm water and finishing with cold. Natural products will be most beneficial to your skin to keep it healthy and clean. A face wash with microbeads will help purify your blackheads and deep pores, as well as exfoliate flaky skin. Use a toner after your wash, such as Witch Hazel, but only in the T-Zone, purifying problematic areas and avoiding dry areas. 

Moisturizing the entirety of your face day and night is vital. Combination type creams can be found to assist your particular needs. Use a mattifying primer in your T-Zone only, before applying any makeup. A rosewater facial spray helps maintain your skin’s pH balance and controls excess oil. Not only does it help with acne, but it also hydrates your skin, for the perfect mixture that you need. You can spritz this refreshing mist onto your face to either prime or set your skin. 

At the end of the day, repeat your regime, remembering to remove all makeup to let your skin breathe. After your wash, toner, and moisturizer, try a spot treatment gel with benzoyl peroxide (only at night) if you have acne-prone skin. Massage this night cream just into blemished areas. 

And there you have it! Skincare for Dummies. 

Christina is a Professional Writing major, minoring in Spanish, at University of Illinois at Chicago. She is the Senior Editor and President for Her Campus Media, following her passions to one day become an editor as a career.
UIC Contributor.