The Seth Cohen Starter Pack

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

I was once a very dedicated viewer of the wonderfully written, yet horribly cheesy show The O.C. (which is Orange County for all you amateurs out there). I, like most, have always been enamored with the character of Seth Cohen. Maybe it’s his boyish charm, his sarcastic and witty personality or maybe it’s his great looks (Adam Brody I see you). Despite his other redeeming qualities that managed to woo me, he also invented his own holiday Christmakkuh. To further explain this to the people who didn’t have The O.C. grace their lives from 2003-2007, I thought I’d let Urban Dictionary define Christmakkuh, for they have done such an elegant interpretation of this joyous holiday.

According to our faithful friend UD, the Christmakkuh holiday is defined as:

“The December holiday, created on the WB series the O.C., by the half-jew, half-gentile character Seth Cohen. A combination of Christmas and Hanukkah with eight days of small presents followed by one day of a lot of presents, Christmas movies, and Chinese food.”

Now, in the first season, it is introduced to us that our beloved Seth Cohen makes a “Seth Cohen Starter Pack.” This gift, compiled with his favorite music and books is definitely a present to all. Inside we’ve got Death Cab, we’ve got Brighteyes, we’ve got The Shins, we’ve got Kavalier and Clay. And we’ve got the goonies. “It’s not just for kids,” Seth tells Ryan, “It’s not, I don’t care what they tell you.”

Now as a true and dedicated fan, (RIP Marissa) I decided to make my own starter pack compiled with a few of my favorite books, movies, t.v. shows or albums that I think will make as great presents for your loved ones or for yourself. 

Nevertheless, alas, we have my very own personal starter pack. Coming soon to a store near you.

Music:

If you want to feel like you’re dancing in the rain on your tiptoes with a dress on then my favorite Florence + the Machine album Ceremonials is perfect for you. Truth be told, I believe all her albums to be perfect. Florence is great to listen to when you’re sad. Florence is great to listen to when you’re happy. I guess the constant here is Florence. Enjoy. 

Reflektor is the new album made by the musical and lyrical geniuses of the band Arcade Fire. Back in July, a fan tweeted at them, “You’re my favorite” and they replied, “Thanks. Our new album will be out October 29th.” And that’s how it all began. They will be gracing Chicago with their presence come 2014, but until then, listen to the album. It is pure bliss. I recommend “We Exist” and “Afterlife.”

Books: 

Why do all the best writers only use their initials? The character of Holden Caulfield is one of the best characters I’ve ever come across in a book; he essentially hates everyone. This book will leave you both confused and reflective about the world around you. I believe that The Catcher in the Rye is classic that should be read annually. 

Movies:

Yes, I am talking about the 1996 version of Romeo & Juliet with Claire Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio which is so bad it’s comical. As the true English nerd that I am, I love anything Shakespeare. Now, I’m not saying this movie is good, it’s so bad that it’s good. The beginning debacle between the Capulets and the Montagues at a gas station makes me laugh harder than any comedy movie out there. “Do you bite your thumb at ME Sir?” Since when is Tybalt a gangster? Above anything else just enjoy Leo in his prime. 

It’s no secret how much I adore Disney movies and Brave is no exception. This movie tells the tale of Scottish princess Merida on her quest to avoid an arranged marriage. Ultimately, it is the love story between two strong female roles—mother and daughter. In more ways than one, the movie Brave is, in fact, brave. Download the album as well, the music throughout the film is simply magical.

Television:

If you’ve been living under a rock for the past three years or don’t have an HBO subscription then I am sorry because that means you haven’t spent your Sunday nights watching Game of Thrones. It’s time to turn things around. This medieval fantasy got me hooked since I saw the first episode. Jon Snow or Robb Stark? Which do you choose? This cast assembled is a cluster of good looks, great accents, and great hair (except you, Joffrey). I spend my time counting down the seconds until the fourth season begins in early 2014. The show is derived from novels by George R.R. which I haven’t read yet because I don’t want any spoilers (sure, that’s my excuse). If you need motivation to watch just google photos of Kit Harrington or Richard Madden. You’re welcome.

As a firm believer in Lena Dunham and all that she creates, Girls is simply perfection. It’s like a modern day, realisitic version of Sex & the City for women in their twenties. The show shows the trials and tribulations that a young adult faces in their years after college simply trying to stay afloat. It depicts the true, sometimes not so pretty, situations we as humans tend to get ourselves into. This is an understatement, but the show is absolutely hilarious. Check it out. 

Now, all these are just a small slice of my favorites, yet an effective and entertaining way to spend your time, in my own humble opinion. But because the majority of us are broke college students, you don’t even have to physically make a starter kit, just do what I did and simply write out the idea of one. Merry Chrismakkuh! 

Gina Russell is a senior at the University of Illinois at Chicago. There she studies English/Communication/binge drinks coffee/complains. She is a lover of anything apple cinnamon scented and books that leave you with more questions than answers. She was born and raised in Chicago. In her spare time, though it may be scarce, she likes to emotionally listen to Florence + the Machine and Arcade Fire, go off on feminist rants, read, write, and watch poetry, add Sriracha to everything edible, incorporate tree pose into normal day activities, eat her weight in sushi, take pictures with her dog, and spontaneously combust into tears about the fact that Lollapalooza is only three days a year. If any of this happens appeal to you, you could follow her on Twitter (@geenuhhhh) or Instagram (also @geenuhhhh). Also, she happens to blog on the riveting adventures of her life or more predominately, the lack there of at http://defineweird.wordpress.com/
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.