Style > Beauty

Riverdale’s Camila Mendes’ Beauty Secrets Revealed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

While working on the set of Riverdale day to day, Camila Mendes steals the show with her subtle-but-sassy makeup look, featuring her iconic brows. Wearing makeup everyday — for long hours at a time — means that she loves letting her skin breathe when it’s finally time to chill. 

In fact, as soon as she is off the clock and into her ride, she enjoys the satisfaction of erasing off all of her cosmetics, according to Harper’s BAZAAR. With the quick swipe of a makeup wipe, Camila is back to feeling comfortable and fresh. Burt’s Bees Makeup Wipes are her go-to choice, as the American actress claims they “work the fastest,” compared to other makeup removing techniques, “‘cause I ain’t got time to waste!” She explains that it is important to wash off your makeup before going to bed so the makeup doesn’t clog your pores. 

Although Camila deems her skin as mostly even and agreeable, she shares with us a cleanser that she could never live without. The second step of her nighttime routine consists of the Renée Rouleau Rapid Response Detox Cleanser. This is a brand that, in her eyes, can never do wrong. According to Camila, Renée Rouleau’s products “actually work!”

Whenever this Riverdale star wants to go the extra mile in self-care, there are two different masks in which she is a #1 fan of. The first is Renée Rouleau’s Triple Berry Smoothing Peel. Camilla jokes that the reddish tint “looks like you murdered someone and then… smeared their blood on your face.” She giggles while applying the soothing mask. Although this aesthetically pleasing product is one of her favorites, the Rapid Response Detox Masque, by the same brand, is pleasing in a different sort of way. The fresh, relaxing scent “is just that added benefit to your day,” in the words of Camilla. She moves along in her get-ready-with-me process, introducing a toner by Tracie Martyn, called the Absolute Purity Toner. Not all of her products are Renée Rouleau! This keeps her pores tight and clean. After applying with her fingers, in order to not waste cotton rounds, moisturizer follows in suit. The Whal Myung Inner Glow Moisturizing Serum leads the way, blanketed by the Sulwhasoo Concentrated Ginseng Renewing Cream. Layering moisturizers helps lock in essential oils that the skin is thirsty for. Camila also comments that thicker facial creams are great when going to sleep and lighter formulas are perfect for during the day, especially if she is natural and bare-faced.  With the smooth touch of a face roller, Camila’s face is de-puffed and ready for her final step. Renée Rouleau makes a red carpet reappearance with her Anti-Bump Solution. This is a spot treatment in which the goal is not to overdry right away, simply just treat each spot. Therefore, it is suitable for cystic or red acne spots, not ready-to-go whiteheads. 

And voilà! All clean and ready to cozy up. Before she goes to sleep, Riverdale’s Camila Mendes reminds us that “skincare isn’t just about the products you use, it’s also about how you’re taking care of yourself.” When you eat right and drink plenty of water, your body will thank you later. So let’s take her advice and do something rewarding for ourselves!

Christina is a Professional Writing major, minoring in Spanish, at University of Illinois at Chicago. She is the Senior Editor and President for Her Campus Media, following her passions to one day become an editor as a career.
UIC Contributor.