This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

By the off-chance of scrolling through my endless YouTube feed of cat videos and K-Pop recommendations, I happened to come across the song “Tired of Talking” by LÉON. Thinking, “Why the hell not?” I took a chance and decided to listen, and I certainly was not disappointed.

Born in Sweden as Lotta Lindgren, LÉON received recognition after posting “Tired of Talking” on SoundCloud. Plus, it couldn’t hurt that other musical artists such as Katy Perry and Troye Sivan tweeted and shared her music as well.

The appeal of LÉON? Her voice. If you wait long enough to hear her sing one line, you’d instantly understand the attraction. Her voice can be akin to that of Adele, heavily soulful but nonetheless distinct. Compared to most pop artists today, which rely on difficult to hit vocals coupled with the need for computerized beats where the only selling point is the build up to the drop, one can definitely feel immersed in the deep emotion LÉON displays throughout her music. This is not to say that all her music is slow and somber, some actually makes me want to put my arms in the air and just sway. However, she does describe her album (which is set to release soon this month!) as “heart-break themed” since all the songs written by her are based on her experiences.

It’s also special to note that it’s nice to hear actual instruments accompanying her music. This is my own baseless opinion, but songs on the radio today, although catchy, are too generic. LÉON’s music and lyrics hold a lot of substance and are the type of variety desperately needed on the radio. If you’re down for that, check out one of my favorites by LÉON called “Think About You” below:

If you like what you hear, definitely come out and see her on October 21st at the venue Lincoln Hall, I know I will!