This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

As far as music goes, everyone loves it no matter the genre, era, or country it belongs to. And, as far as artists and bands go, not all are widely known. So, I’ve decided to elect one artist, group, or band from almost every country in the world, listen to them for a week, and write up a quick review for y’all who just love music and want new artists in the iTunes list!

As my first review, I’ve chosen to Colombia’s fiery Bomba Estéreo (Stereo Bomb in English).

Founded in Bogotá, Colombia in 2005 by Simón Mejía and Liliana Saumet (with Julián Salazar and Eric Egurrola joining in after their first release in 2007), Bomba Estéreo has really made a name for itself. Folk acts, electronic acts, and dance acts usually (not always) stay clear from each other. However, this band has managed to fuse all 3 awesome acts to create this psychological, physical, and musical mind-game that you never want to escape from.

The music can be described as “electro tropical” and “psychedelic cumbia”. But I prefer “rave-in-my-head”.  

Their songs and lyrics really resonate well with the human psyche at times. If we take their song titled, “Pure Love” (top video at bottom of page), we can hear and see (through their music video) that people are crazy enough to do what they love even if that means severe consequences. And, if you’re wondering what the band name means, “Bomba Estéreo” is a Colombian term for a really cool, awesome, and bad-a$$ party. I think there’s no better way to describe this band, to be honest.

They only sing in Spanish, but don’t let this stop you from enjoying their addictive beats. Our adorable Will Smith even came out from hiding (10 years of no music from this guy) to rap for a remix of Bomba Estéreo’s “Fiesta” (second video).

Believe me, you’ll want to see and hear this!

Stay tuned for next week as I will be reviewing a French artist some of us may already know, Stromae! 

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.