Make These Delicious Banana Bread Muffins at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

A few days ago, my friend Julia and I decided it was time we had a baking day after class. We headed to Target, gathered some materials and managed to spend less than $15 on materials for our baking endeavors. We then headed to each of our dorm rooms to scavenge for baking materials. Although we were missing a lot of basic cooking utensils, we made it work with what we had. Our impulsive decision created a delicious snack that was super easy to make and took about 30 minutes to bake. These muffins serve as a great snack for on-the-go or for a quick breakfast with coffee. Below is how Julia and I made our chocolate chip banana muffins using our college student improvising skills:

Prep Time: 10-15 minutes

Bake Time: 10-15 minutes

Supplies:

• A muffin tray (or any tray if you don’t have one)
  • A bowl to mix in
  • A whisk or fork
  • Blackened/ browned bananas
  • A stick of butter
  • Cooking spray 
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 2.5 cups of flour
  • 1 tsp of baking soda
  • 1 tsp of baking powder
  • A bag of semi sweet chocolate chips or leftover chocolate
  • 2 eggs
  • Milk or water if too thick

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees 
  2. First, start off by combining the dry ingredients and mixing them together.
  3. Add the eggs, melted butter and mix. 
  4. Add the bananas and mush them using the fork until they combine nicely with the batter. If the batter appears too thick, add some milk or water.
  5. Spray the mold you are using with the cooking spray and pour your contents into the tray
  6. Bake for about 10 minutes and check on the muffins/ bread. If it appears to be underdone, wait 2-3 more minutes. Make sure the muffins are golden.
  7. Enjoy!
Hello everyone! My name is Ranya and I am a student at the University of Illinois at Chicago. I am undeclared and on the pre-med track. Something to know about me is that I love exploring the city, so you could always catch me biking around!
UIC Contributor.