How to Know When it’s Time to Break-up with your Doctor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Changing doctors can be a scary and even stressful idea. Sometimes breaking it off with your doctors is best for you and worth the work to change. Thumbnail Courtesy of Pixabay

These topics apply to all medical staff including but not limited to family doctors, gynecologists, dentists or therapists.

Photo Courtesy of Pixabay

1. You’re uncomfortable

If a doctor, at any time, makes you feel uncomfortable, whether in what they say or do say something, they might not realize their humor or actions are making you feel that way. If these actions persist, leave. There are plenty of doctors, in your insurance plan, that you can visit. Your comfort is number 1 priority when visiting a doctor.

2. Their cleanliness doesn’t meet your standards.

When at a doctor’s office a dust bunny is nothing to worry about. When it comes to the cleanliness of the counters, sink, bed, and anything else in the room that’s what you need to look for. These surfaces are supposed to be sanitized after every patient. This raises a concern about sterilization about other items that could pose a risk to your health. Your health is worth the switch. If you feel your doctor’s office is not clean, please change doctors.

3. They aren’t treating you right

Doctors are entitled to their own opinion. If that opinion makes you uncomfortable or hinders your medical care, that is unacceptable. This may arise if your doctor has negative views about birth control or STD/STI screening. A doctor cannot deny you treatment because of their moral opinions. If a doctor makes rude comments about your medical questions, get your prescription and leave; it’s time to find a new doctor.

4. Problems

If you are having problems with your care, if the medication doesn’t seem to be working tell your doctor, you may not have what they thought you had. Changing medicines can be tedious but sometimes symptoms are similar and have no test to determine what you have. If this happens often, it might be a good idea to look for another doctor.

In the case of a dentist, if you are left with painful teeth, after a visit, and they do nothing to resolve the pain, it’s time to change dentists.

5. You’re moving or shopping around

When you move, whether a short or far distance, it may be a good idea to shop around for a new doctor. Medical coverage can change depending on your location. Make sure you call your insurance and find out if your old doctor is still in your range. If they aren’t, or you’re looking for a new doctor, feel free to shop around. To change doctors, it takes a maximum of a week to transfer all your medical history. Don’t worry about the insurance company, it’s their job to take care of you.

Photo Courtesy of Pixabay

Remember your friends and family are there for you! If you are unsure about anything, just ask them. It is possible they have had a similar experience or have a doctor that they use and love. Sometimes going to the doctor is just awkward, these experiences might not be because they are a bad doctor but just because it is a tough or touchy subject.

Finding the right doctor may be hard, but I promise it’s not impossible. All insurance plans cover more that one doctor, so don’t be scared to contact your insurance, and find out what other doctors you can visit.

Hi! My name is Elizabeth Wenzel and go by Lizzie. I am a student at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), class of 2021. I recently switched majors from Accounting to Biological Science. A BioS major is one of the many majors that can be taken as Pre Vet-Med. I hope to pursue my masters and PhD for Vet Med at University of Illinois Urbana Champaign. I found a passion for writing in high school and haven't stopped. Currently I do not a narrow topic I wish to write about but I hope through writing for HerCampusUIC I find the topics I really enjoy writing about,
UIC Contributor.