Style > Beauty

How to Give Yourself the Perfect Manicure for Cheap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Being a college student, I normally don’t have the money to get my nails done every two weeks. So, I decided to figure out a way to do my own manicure that actually lasts. Here is what I do:

1.  Buy a cheap nail file

Shaping your nails before you paint them seems obvious, but usually, a lot of people forget to do this or don’t even think about it. Shaping your nails square, oval, etc can make a big difference in the overall appearance of your nails. 

2. Try gel nail polish instead of regular  

Gel nail polish can make your nails last up to a whole week longer. There are gel nail polishes that do not require an ultraviolet light, like they usually would at the salon. The polishes have a no-chip look as well, making your nails look even nicer. Try it out and see if you like it. There are also gel top coats that you can apply a regular polish to underneath and still be able to have the gel look. You can buy this at most beauty and convenience stores.

3. Use a cuticle oil

Cuticle oil is really important for nails, especially during the winter months. By using cuticle oil, not only will your hands look moisturized, but you will prevent skin peeling around your nailbed.  

4. Use a base coat

Once again, this seems obvious, but so many people do not bother to put on a base coat. Applying a base coat will protect your nail so they are not fragile or stain from the polish you use.  

Now go rock those cute nails!

Joy is an undergraduate student at University of Illinois at Chicago pursuing Nursing, with an end goal of becoming a CRNA. She loves spicy chips, R&B, and the summer time. She likes being artistic and expressing her creativity through painting, drawing, and makeup during her free time. You can find her doing homework listening to some Frank Ocean on most days.
UIC Contributor.