This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Screen fatigue, also referred to as Asthenopia, is a common condition that occurs when your eyes become tired from intense use, which in many cases is caused by staring at a screen for too long, reading for long periods of time, driving long distances, etc. While the condition isn’t a serious problem, and tends to go away once you rest your eyes, it is still a nuance to deal with. Below are some tips on how to help combat screen fatigue. 

Look Away From Your Screen 

Oftentimes than not, you become so focused on what you’re doing that you forget to look away, even if it’s only for a couple of minutes. Which is why ophthalmologists recommend following the 20-20-20 rule, meaning you look away from your screen every 20 minutes, at an object 20 feet away for 20 seconds or more. If you’re reading this, and haven’t looked away from your screen in over 20 minutes, this is your sign to look away! 

Make Your Text Bigger 

If you find yourself straining to read what is on your screen, it might be time for glasses, however, you can also make the text bigger, therefore making it easier to read what’s right in front of you.

Dim the Screen

Have you ever unlocked your phone or opened up your laptop only to immediately look away because the brightness was on the highest setting? If not, then lucky you! It’s painful, and my poor eyes hate it. Honestly, as I was typing this up, I realized my brightness on my screen was way too high, so check your screen! Dimming the lights isn’t only beneficial for your eyes, but it also helps with regulating our sleep cycle. If you’ve ever heard someone say, “Don’t use your phone or laptop an hour before going to bed,” is because of this exact reason.

Blink 

This one may seem obvious, but according to a study conducted by the University of Iowa: Hospitals and Clinics, the longer we stare at a computer screen or read, our blink rate decreases by 66%. I don’t know about anyone else, but that is a high number. It’s no wonder we get this burning and drying sensation around our eyes. 

While some students may be back in the classroom, or doing some kind of hybrid learning, many of us are still experiencing remote learning. This means the amount of time we spend looking at a screen is exponentially high. This can quickly cause us to feel tired and strained, which is why it is so important for all students to take regular breaks in between classes or homework. These are stressful times, but remember you don’t have to be online 24/7. It’s okay to take a break. We all know we need one anyway.  

Gaby is a senior at the University of Illinois at Chicago, majoring in Communication and Psychology. In her free time, she likes to eat sushi, workout, and read books.
UIC Contributor.