Her Campus: Her Story Lanora Shewan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Name: Lanora Shewan

Age: 19

Year: 3rd Junior

Nationality: African-American / Ghanaian (African)

Major: Nursing

HC: What is your favorite thing about UIC?

LS:  My favorite thing about UIC is how many different opportunities towards my nursing degree and faculty that helps.

HC: What has been your favorite experience while attending UIC?

LS: I think I have way too many experiences to just say one, but the experience I probably cherish is when my close friends and I just chilled in the Quad and enjoyed Greek Week.

HC: How has your race and gender impacted your educational/social experience at UIC?

LS: I feel not only being African-American and female pressure is put on me to strive for the best. Not only from my parents but the Black community because as a group we need to achieve our greatest potiential.

HC: When you transferred, what did you miss about UIC?

LS: The question should be what didn’t I miss. I really did not like being at a community college especially one so close to home.

HC: What made you come back to UIC?

LS: I felt there were better and bigger opportunities for me and my career and of course I missed my friends.

HC: If there was one thing you could change about UIC, what would it be?

LS: INNER CIRCLE!! I’m really tired of Wendy’s, Subway, and all other options there. The only way I’ll be okay with it is if tuition were less.

HC: Are you involved in any campus programs or organizations?

LS: I’m involved with the TRIO program in SSB.

HC: What is something that you want to get out of your time here at UIC?

LS: I want to feel like I’m sure of my career path and feel happy with my choice.

HC: How do you plan to achieve that?

LS: I plan to look at all options that are in the nursing field because I know from my family that nursing provides many opportunities. And asking questions from people already in the field and developing my own.

HC: Thank you for allowing me to interview you! I hope your semester ends well!

LS: You’re welcome! Thank you for the opportunity and same to you all at HC!

Tikia Travis is a former writer for HERCampus UIC (2015-2017). Tikia majored in English with a concentration on Media, Rhetorical, and Cultural Studies. She also completed the Creative Writing, Professional Writing, and British Literature Concentrations. Tikia loves reading, writing, music, fashion, and FOOD (you can tell that from my picture, lol)!! School, Starbucks, Health and Fitness are my LIFE! She aspires to one day become a Published Author and Education Professional. In her spare time, she write creatively and professionally, and assists others with their essays/writing needs.
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.