Get To Know The Ladies of HC UIC!

Name: Nicole Jacobs

Year: Senior

Major: Marketing, minor in Finance

Hometown: Chicago, IL

Role at HC: President

HC: Which artists are on your 'getting ready' playlist?

NJ: Definitely Kid Cudi (he's the bae). Also Jhene Aiko, Lana Del Rey, & Beyonce! 

HC: Wheres your favorite place in the city?

NJ: Anywhere along the lakefront! Especially near the Adler Planetarium. It's hands down the best view of the city! Chicago is my gym and I love running and biking along the lake!

HC: Who inspires you the most and why?

NJ: A few people inspire me. I would definitely say my mom because she is so strong and caring. She had to raise 4 kids in Chicago by herself for over 10 years, which is not easy to do. Also my Nike fam. I love surrounding myself with fit, active people who are passionate about leading a healthy lifestyle and are all about bettering themselves physically and mentally. Their energy is contagious and they always inspire me to better my best! 

Name: Gina Russell

Year: Senior

Hometown: Southside of Chicago

Major: English

Role at HC: Co-Editor/Content Manager

HC: Who inspires you the most, and why?

GR: This question is so loaded that I must be careful not to write a novella. I often find myself inspired by everything and everyone I come across in life. I’m inspired by a sentence my professor said in class last week that sounded like poetry, I’m inspired by women who wake up every morning shower, blow-dry and style their hair, and put on makeup, I’m inspired by the optimism of children, I’m inspired by a really good cup of coffee, I inspire myself when I manage to make something other than pizza for dinner without burning my apartment down, I’m inspired by Hilary Clinton and her power suits and ambition, Lena Dunham and her words, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and how her TED Talk tackles feminism in the most eloquent and groundbreaking way, I’m inspired by Emma Sulkowicz and her senior thesis project at Columbia, shedding light on a topic that so desperately needs it, I’m inspired by women like Michele Roberts, the executive director of the NBA who says things like “My past is littered with the bones of men who were foolish enough to think I was someone they could sleep on.” And most importantly, I'm inspired by my family. I am reminded each day that they are the loves of my life. 

So many things in this world and the people in it inspire me. Thus, the list goes on.

GR: I’m so very glad you asked. So normally I have my “Gina Russell” classics, which include Arcade Fire, Florence + the Machine, Alt-J, Local Natives, Bombay Bicycle Club, Lorde, Bon Iver, Young the Giant, Foster the People, LCD Soundsystem, The Postal Service, Vampire Weekend, Death Cab for a Cutie. You know—the works. But lately, I’ve adopted some new (well, to me) artists into the category. This includes Hozier, Bad Suns, Twenty One Pilots, Birdy, Sam Smith, The 1975, Odessa, etc. Am I rambling? 

Name: Claudia Martinez

Major: Business

Year at UIC: Senior

Hometown: Mexico/Carptenersville

HerCampus role: Editor in Chief

What is your top style or beauty tip?

A great lipstick is always a MUST! – For this fall I am really into dark maroon or brown colors.

What mantra or motto do you live by?

"The mind is everything, what you think you become." -Buddha

What is the best thing about winters in Chicago? 
How beautiful everything looks white, other than that NOTHING!

Reasons to ♥ HerCampus UIC?

We always think of our readers and what they want to read when we think of content to produce. We are also really friendly and love having fun!

Pages