Food Blog: The Ultimate Clam Chowder Recipe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

What better way to end your evening but to consume a big bowl of clam chowder soup? Make a big batch of this soup and you will be set for those evenings after a long day of class. Serve the soup with some delicious buttery toast and you will have lunch/dinner served in no time!

Ingredients:

Prep time: 20 mins

Cook time: 40 mins

Makes a serving for 5-6 people:

3-4 cups of clam juice

6 slices of bacon

salt and pepper to taste

3 stalks of celery

1 large russet potato

half of a large onion

3 tbsp of parsley

1 cup of red, orange, and yellow peppers

4 cups of clams (frozen or fresh)

3 tbsp of butter

10 tbsp of flour

4 cups of half and half milk

1)   In a large soup pot, sauté the bacon until golden and crispy. (No need to add any oil because bacon renders a lot of its natural fat) Cook the bacon for about 6-7 minutes. Remove it from the pot and drain the bacon on a dry paper towel.

2)   Keeping the natural bacon juices in the pot, add the celery, onion, and peppers and cook until the veggies become translucent. When the veggies become translucent, add the potatoes and sauté for a minute.

3)   After a minute, add the 10 tbsp of flour while stirring constantly to cook out the raw flour. After about 2 minutes, add the clam juice while stirring the entire time.

4)   Boil the mixture for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.

5)   When the potatoes are fully cooked through, gradually stir in the half and half and bring it up to a boil (about 4-6 minutes).

6)   Add parsley, bacon, salt and pepper according to taste. (leave a little parsley and bacon for garnish)

7)   Remove from heat and enjoy!!     

Jessica Wu is attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a senior majoring in Accounting. Her expected graduation date will be Fall of 2015. She loves to watch the food network and cook.
UIC Contributor.