This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Flan is a sweet and creamy custard. Each slice is coated with a melted sugar-caramel sauce. This recipe serves about eight individuals, depending on the size of your casserole dish.

Ingredients:

1) 2/3 cup of white sugar

2) 1 can of sweetened condensed milk

3) 1 can of evaporated milk

4) 5 eggs

5) 2 tsp of vanilla extract (you can also use 2 tsp of vanilla paste or 3/4 tsp of a vanilla bean instead)

6) Water (the amount varies depending on the size of your baking dish)

Kitchen Utensils:

1) Casserole dish

2) Saucepan

3) Wooden spoon

4) Large bowl

5) Large baking pan

6) Electric mixer

Directions:

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Step 2: In a saucepan, pour in 2/3 cups of granulated white sugar. Cook and stir slowly with a wooden spoon over medium to low heat until the sugar is melted and a golden brown. This will take 10 to 15 minutes. After, pour the melted sugar into the casserole dish that you will be using for your flan. Lightly shake the dish left to right & up and down to evenly coat the bottom and sides. Set aside.

Step 3: In a large mixing bowl, beat 5 eggs using an electric mixer. Then pour in one can of sweetened condensed milk, one can of evaporated milk and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and mix until smooth. Pour this mixture into your sugar-coated baking dish. Next, cover with aluminum foil.

Step 4: Place your filled flan casserole dish into a larger baking pan. Pour water into just the baking pan, just enough until it reaches about 2-3 inches on the casserole dish. This step is necessary for cooking the flan thoroughly.

Step 5: Bake the flan for 50 to 60 minutes. Let it cool completely. Enjoy.

Stephanie Saranga is an charismatic, loving, and hard working student who is currently attending The University of Illinois at Chicago. She plans to major in Urban Education and master in Speech Pathology. During her free time she enjoys to listen to music (specifically rap and R&B), read, bake, and paint.
UIC Contributor.