This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Finals week is coming upon us and that can mean late nights, cramming, procrastinating, and throwing off your sleeping and eating schedule. Thankfully, it’s only one week of dealing with all of this, but a week can still do a lot of damage to your body. So, in preparation for finals week, below are a few ideas for what to eat in order to get you through exams while still staying healthy.

For more energy:

Reach for fresh fruit and nuts as a study break snack. Fruit contains natural sugars that will balance your blood sugar and give you a quick pick me up. Both fruit and nuts have lots of fiber, so they’re sure to keep you full and focused. For even more energy all day, slice up some lemons and put them in your water bottle. Water is already great at keeping you focused, but adding citrus fruits adds a boost of electrolytes that are sure to keep your mind sharp.

To Keep Your Focus:

During meals, load up your plate with leafy green vegetables and whole grains. Both foods are packed with fiber and vitamins that are good for mental sharpness. Leafy greens also have the added benefit of detoxifying your body, which will give you more energy and help you feel more balanced during high stress. Your best bet is to try to have a couple of servings of each a day so your brain and body are balanced by exam time.

To Help You Sleep:

I know at least some of us are bound to pull at least one all-nighter, but sleep is extremely important to keeping your mind and body healthy. However, it can be difficult to follow a regular sleep pattern during finals week, especially if you’re up late one night and going to bed early the next. If you have trouble falling to sleep, try a snack of cheese and crackers – or any other dairy product – before you go to bed. Dairy is high in calcium and tryptophan, which helps your brain produce melatonin. Other foods to look for are those that have a high glycemic index, which basically means that they cause a spike in your blood sugar that will help you fall asleep faster. Foods like this are things like pretzels, white rice, and corn chips. 

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so. 
UIC Contributor.