This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

We have all felt overwhelmed, whether it be from school, family problems, or dealing with life in general. However, there are a few quick and easy things I have found that help me relax when I am stressed.  

Lavender Essential Oil

Lavender essential oil is known for having calming properties. By applying a few drops on either your temples or behind your ears, the smell can calm you throughout the day.  Feeling nervous or stressed before an exam? Apply the oil and you will be more relaxed, helping you think clearly for the exam. You can also use lavender essential oil in an oil diffuser. Put it in your room, and let the smell permeate, leaving your room smelling good and you feeling relaxed!

Take A Nap

Taking a twenty-minute nap can help you feel less stressed. Twenty minutes is the perfect time because you have not reached REM sleep, making it easier to wake up! Whether you have time between classes, or later in the day, it can help you feel better.  Many times, you feel overwhelmed because of lack of sleep, so a quick nap can help.

Listen To Some Soft Music

Music can drastically change your mood. By listening to softer, more relaxing music, you can reduce your stress levels. It is scientifically proven that certain beats change your brainwaves to reduce stress. So, take some time to lay down, jam to some tunes, and even light a candle. Your time is crucial!

Joy is an undergraduate student at University of Illinois at Chicago pursuing Nursing, with an end goal of becoming a CRNA. She loves spicy chips, R&B, and the summer time. She likes being artistic and expressing her creativity through painting, drawing, and makeup during her free time. You can find her doing homework listening to some Frank Ocean on most days.
UIC Contributor.