Coloring Books: A Fun Way to Reduce Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

I remember sitting in my Abnormal Psych class when my professor asked us what we do to reduce stress. Sure enough, answers like binge-watching Netflix, hanging out with friends, and even yoga popped up. However what surprised me the most was how my professor reduced stress: coloring books

Now, I know what you’re thinking: coloring books, really? And yes, really.

Turns out adult coloring books have been a growing phenomenon and have been found to be a therapeutic way to reduce anxiety and stress. According to brain scientist Dr. Joel Pearson in Medical Daily, coloring has the effect of changing negative thoughts to positive ones with the way it controls our attention as we focus on the task.

In short, coloring can be good for your brain, especially with all the stressors of college.

Interested and want to start?  Check out some of these suggestions below!

1. Color Me Calm: 100 Coloring Templates for Meditation and Relaxation by Lacy Mucklow and Angela Porter

2. Lost Ocean: An Inky Adventure and Coloring Book by Johanna Basford

3. Posh Coloring Book Vintage Designs for Fun & Relaxation by Andrews McMeel

4. Fantastic Cities: A Coloring Book of Amazing Places Real and Imagined by Steve McDonald

On the go? Download the coloring app Colorfly on your phone for free!

Happy coloring collegiettes!

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.