This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

With Christmas coming up, it’s fun to make wish lists, no matter how old you get. While some of the things I have wished for have changed as I have gotten older, here is my Christmas wish list for this year. 

1.) Family

No matter what you’re going through, always make time for your friends and family. Surrounding yourself with loved ones is the best gift of all. Eat good meals and watch your childhood movies together.

2.) Money

Money isn’t everything, but it can solve your financial problems. As a first-year college student, I need all the money I can get. Every time I look around, I need to buy groceries, feminine products, and office supplies. Also, I need scholarships. Take time over break to research for some scholarships and apply to a few.

3.) Makeup

Photo by Nikiya Alfred

Ladies, you’re flawless! From your skin to your hair to your bodies, you were destined to be role models. However, it doesn’t hurt to have some lip gloss and eyeshadow now and then. Go and treat yourself to some makeup goodies. Places like $5 Below, Victoria’s Secret, and Forever 21 promote makeup items all the time. The first time I wore a full face of makeup was at my prom. I felt like a princess (I won prom princess).

4.) Better Health

Your health is important. You only get one body, so be mindful of what you put in it. Everyone has different health goals and wants to be healthy at the end of the day. If you’re like me and want to start eating better, do some research on how to start healthy eating habits. Talk to a trainer or nutritionist, or go to the mall and purchase healthy recipe cookbooks.

5.) A vacation

It doesn’t matter where you want to go but think about taking some time out for yourself to reflect on you. There are 365 days in a year, and each day is unique. Some ups and downs change who you are for better or worse. You spend most of your time working to make your dreams come true. Now, it’s time to have some fun. Go with friends and family or by yourself to a place unknown. Treat yourself to some good food and new adventures

6.) Romance

I know you were taught to be careful about what you wish for!! Love is inevitable, and it will never return to you void. I believe everyone is destined to be with their soulmate when they make good choices for themselves before others. Make sure you love yourself before allowing another person to love you. Love isn’t just about dates, sex, and money. It takes true dedication and time to maintain a relationship. A relationship is like a plant: you guys are the seeds that need water and sunlight, which is love and trust, to grow into a beautiful plant  (couple). 

7.) Connection to Faith

As a Christian, it’s hard to keep a strong faith between me and God. I’ve been through so many tests and trials that have set me back into a dark and lonely place. I’ve lost loved ones due to health problems. There were times when I was bullied and was cast out by others. However, God has seen me through it all. Through the dark and lonely nights, I was able to get back on my feet and move forward. I want to read my bible more and find a church that I can call my second home.

8.) Peace and Understanding

Peace is something that we all deserve. We shouldn’t isolate ourselves from priorities. Living in a busy world is so hard because there’s always a duty that needs to be fulfilled. Take time out for yourself to meditate, workout, nap, or go to the spa. The mind is a muscle and overusing it can cause traumatic pain.

Nikiya Alfred is the current events director for the UIC HER CAMPUS chapter. She's a third-year college student from the University of Illinois at Chicago with a passion for problem-solving issues in the CPS system. As an Urban Education major with a concentration in English Language Arts, she wants to explore more on Educational policy. This is the perfect opportunity for her to build relationships with other women who have a passion for writing. Please follow her on Instagram @Moondoll_7.
UIC Contributor.