This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

You know you’ve seen this guy riding his bike around campus and inviting you out for a fun night out at Vintage! This week’s Campus Celebrity is Carlos Ortiz. This Shut ‘Em Up partner works hard to make sure you’re always having a great time while still always being the life of the part. Read on and see how this Brizilian born seeks to make the best out of every opportunity that comes his way!

Her Campus (HC): How did you get involved with Shut ‘Em Up and what is your position with them?

Carlos Ortiz (CO): Freshman year of college I got a call from Haki Batra, the current Red Bull Student Brand Manager, asking me to join his event company. Which also happened to also be owned by Harold Shepard, a Zeta Psi member who I was currently being recruited by. I first started as a promoter with the intent to get more people together, currently I am a partner and event coordinator.

HC: What is your favorite /least favorite part of promoting and why?

CO: I enjoy catering to people, especially my friends. We work very hard to set everything up for everyone to have an amazing time. I try to throw events that will be memorable; I know that our passion for entertainment has raised the bar on how we treat and include people. However it’s not just fun and games, sometimes we need to adapt to factors like, weather, exams and event limitations. I am always trying to make sure everyone has a good time and it requires a lot of attention and work. My favorite part by far is the fact that we started doing house parties with computer speakers. We began as humble students looking to have a good time and share our energy with the world. Our group is unique and is able to engage with anyone we meet and make them feel like a VIP. And now 5 years later we are working in the top nightclubs and working with owners and other companies that see our potential.

HC: How does it make you feel when a place your promoting for is packed or when your friends come out and support you?

CO: Its pure happiness! I think that a packed house reflects the hard work that we put in and the attention that we give to our customers from the time they walk in until the end. Having your friends around supporting you is always great, no matter what you’re doing. I think that when you’re doing what you love and having your friends next to you, is by far the best feeling. Work with what you love and always be humble!

HC: Is this something that you could see yourself doing as a career? Why or why not?

CO: Working with events has been my career since I was 16. I was able to work really hard and learn how to adapt to my crowd. Coordinating and creating events is my passion but it’s a very difficult industry to work in. I believe that my goals and ideas will make my hobby become a career.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

CO: I can see myself working for an advertising agency, but also owning my own club as a hobby. I think that the party life is great, however I love advertising and I believe that I can reach more people with great messages with advertising.

HC: Is there anything or anyone that inspires you and motivates you to do what you want in life? If so, who?

CO: My father. He is one of the most influential businessmen in the world and with that he is one of the most humble people I have ever met. He was able to juggle an international bank and a family. It would take a long time to explain who he is or what he is to society, but in a few words I could say: smart, loving, caring and a great friend. He was able to show me that hard works pays off, however to never forget my main ideals and morals.

HC: Are you involved in any activities or organizations at or outside of UIC?

CO: Of course!! I believe that socializing is not only key for my job however it is something I cherish a lot. I joined The Zeta Psi Fraternity, which has been the main influence and has been an open door of the best opportunities, both on and off campus! Joining Zeta Psi has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I think that I and the Shut Em Up Team was able to make a difference in Greek life and UIC by always getting everyone together.

HC: Do you have any goals that you are trying to reach before graduating?

CO: I would love to change the social scene of UIC. I think we have great potential to create events that will get everyone together.

HC: Describe your dream job.

CO: Creating the best advertising firm possible. I believe that great messages can be passed through for interpretation in ingenious ways.

HC: If you could be best friends with any celebrity, who would it be and why?

CO: George Clooney, he is the man. We both enjoy the same things: nice cars, nice houses, nice trips, and I think most importantly, living the best lifestyle as possible.

HC: Ending thoughts for Her Campus readers?

CO: UIC is a great university, I think that everyone can make the best of it and have a great college experience. I can say that I have had some of the craziest and best experiences that college could offer. Everyone should remember that there is a time and place for everything. With that being said, that time is now. Always try to make the best out of every situation, explore things you wouldn’t normally do, and break away from the norm. Break rules, make mistakes, and have no regrets.

Sydney is currently a junior at UIC. Apart from writing the Campus Celebrity column for HerCampus-UIC, she also serves as the Vice President in her sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma. As of now her major is undeclared, however she would like to major in marketing and finance. When she is not on campus, she is working at her internships, going to concerts, hanging out with friends, and enjoying life as it comes. In the future she hopes to go into some sort of public relations career, such as event planning, but also keeps her options open. Sydney works hard and tries to take advantage of as many opportunities that come her way!
UIC Contributor.