Campus Profile: Estefanie Alvarez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Basics 

Name: Estefanie Alvarez

Year: 3rd year

Hometown: Romeoville, IL

Birthday: March 18

Major: Computer Science

UIC Life

Local or Commuter?

I used to commute my first 2 years but I realized that sitting in traffic for 2 hours was not worth it. I live in Pilsen now. Much easier with a 10 min commute. 

What are you involved with on campus?

I’m in Her Campus in the Marketing teamm as well as Medlife where we help people receive affordable health care. Last semester we went to Lima, Peru. 

What are your plans for next year?

I want to go on another trip for Medlife so I’m working hard to save money and fundraise. We hope to go to Africa in the near future. An internship with a major company is something I’m hoping for, too. Hopefully Google is receiving all my resumes I’m sending in!

What are your plans after graduation?

As a computer science major, I want to work for a company as a software engineer. Also, I want to travel! 

Fun Facts

Describe yourself in three words.

Dependable, goofy, sensible.

Interesting fact?

I love to sing! I’ve been in choir for 8 years and I’m currently in University Choir here in UIC and used to be in Chamber Choir as well. 

Current go to song?

“City of Stars” from the soundtrack of the movie La La Land.

Something that you would change about yourself?

To arrive 5 minutes early to everything! Classes, work, and dates. I’m always fashionably late. 

One thing you would tell your high school self?

I would say “Girl stop stressing, It’s going to be tough but you’ll come out stronger!” 

Biggest Pet Peeve?

When people walk really slow in the sidewalk! I’m a fast walker and always late so I need to get by. At least make some space!

Love Life

Interested in?

I’ve been dating but dating is hard so, nope. 

Relationship Status?

Focusing on my studies. I have no love life, haha!

Celebrity Crush?

Does a young Paul McCarthy still count? I’m still a big Beatles fan!

Favorite Pick-Up Line?

You must be a banana because I find you a-peeling.

Ideal First Date?

Going to Wicker Park petting dogs at the dog park and then going into one their amazing book and coffee shops. 

Christiana is a Communications major with a minor in Sociology at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Originally from a very small town in central Illinois, she spends most of her time exploring the city. She enjoys live music, poetry, and cheesy indie comedies. Catch her around campus to talk about the latest in hip-hop releases.