Campus Profile: Amaris Duran

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Basics

Name: Amaris Azalea Duran

Year: Freshman

Hometown: Round Lake, IL

Birthday: May 17, 1998

Major: Political Science and Latin American & Latinx Studies

UIC Life

Local or Commuter?

I’m a commuter. Sometimes from Round Lake and sometimes from Forest Park.

What are you involved with on campus?

Mexican-American Students de Aztlan (Me.S.A), a student organization my friends and I are trying to start called the Student Empowerment Coalition. But I haven’t been able to go to either of the meetings recently since I started an internship.

What are your plans for next year?

I would like to continue with the same clubs on campus, maybe get a 4.0 for real.

What are your plans after graduation?

I definitely want to go to law school. Whether I want to go right after graduation or take a year off is something I still have time to decide.

Fun Facts

Describe yourself in three words.

Short, independent and Xicana. (I had to ask my boyfriend and best friend for this)

Interesting fact?

This one was really hard. My mom told me I was born asleep because it was too late for the drugs she took to help her with giving birth. They affected me instead of her, apparently, which is why I was asleep.

Current go-to song?

I don’t necessarily have go-to songs… but I’ve been listening to the La La Land soundtrack a lot lately.

Something that you would change about yourself?

I would like to be taller. If it’s something I can actually change, more patient.

One thing you would tell your high school self?

“Relax. You’re doing just fine”

Biggest pet peeve?

Ignorance!

Love Life

Interested in?

I don’t want to say I’m specifically interested in certain people, and I don’t want to limit myself. I don’t really want to put a label on it either, but to me, it doesn’t matter. I suppose this is kind of like my “coming out.”

Relationship status?

I have been in a relationship for about two and a half years.

Celebrity crush?

Gina Rodriguez and Sebastian Stan

Favorite pick-up line?

Anything involving chemistry or history. Or I guess anything that could be categorized as “nerdy.” 

Ideal first date?

My “official first date” with my boyfriend was to Six Flags, and I really liked it. As long as it’s fun, and we can be comfortable.

Christiana is a Communications major with a minor in Sociology at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Originally from a very small town in central Illinois, she spends most of her time exploring the city. She enjoys live music, poetry, and cheesy indie comedies. Catch her around campus to talk about the latest in hip-hop releases.
UIC Contributor.