Campus Cutie: Joshua Deanes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Basics:

Year: Sophomore

Height: 6-foot, however if we’re including shoes 6-foot-1

Hometown: Matteson, Illinois

Birthday: August 2, 1996

Heritage: African American

Major: Civil Engineering

UIC Life:

Local or Commuter:

Local

What are you involved with on campus?

National Society of Black Engineers, American Society of Civil Engineers, UIC Ski and Snowboard Club, UIC Pyromaniacs, Intramurals

What are your plans for this year?

I’ll be snowboarding for the first time this winter break in Colorado with my snowboarding club. Starting up an intramural basketball team next semester for co-ed and the men’s league is also in the mix.

What are your plans after graduation?

Ideally I’ll be working for some big time engineering company and have them pay for grad school so I can become a structural engineer. The end dream is to build skyscrapers.

Fun Facts:

Three Words to Describe Yourself?

Fun-loving, Committed, Confident

Interesting Fact?

My breakfast cooking skills are pretty impressive…I can throw down on some pancakes and some omelettes. When I was little I opened the car door while we were driving on the highway and almost fell out. My brother thankfully grabbed me and reeled me back in. After that the child safety locks were put on all the car doors until I was in 6th grade. This was kind of embarrassing since my mom would have to open my door to get me out everywhere I went.

Something that you would change about yourself?

To be more patient with others and to smile more.

Favorite childhood memory?

Going to the park with my granddad and brother during the summers.

One piece of advice you would tell high school Josh?

Take AP tests seriously because these credit hours are killing me right now!

Enjoy just hanging out as an underclassman because life was easy back then.

Appreciate all of the home cooked food that I had every night. I don’t even know what the people in the caf are thinking when they make some of the food.

Biggest Pet-Peeve?

I’m not a fan of people who beg for attention, especially when they want you to stop doing whatever you were up to and focus on them.

Love Life:

Interested in:

Women

Relationship Status:

Single

Celebrity Crush:

Selena Gomez, Ariana Grande, Angelina Jolie, oh and Skylar Diggins so I can play out my Love and Basketball dreams.

Favorite Pick-Up Line?

*Calls up his friend since he forgot it*

It’s not really a straight-forward pick-up line, it’s more like a scenario to get a conversation going.

Walk up to a girl.

Scenario 1

Guy: “Hey I know your boyfriend.”

Girl: “Oh how do you know him?”

Guy: (Just walk away, it’s a lost cause.)

Scenario 2

Girl: “I don’t have a boyfriend.”

Guy: “Oh well maybe I was thinking of someone else. But anyway…” (initiate amazing personality and keep the conversation going.)

Ideal First Date?

We’d start off by going to a comedy show, sitting in the front is not an option…I’m not trying to get roasted on a first date by a professional comedian. Afterwards we’d grab a bite to eat from one of Chicago’s finest/cheapest since I’m a baller on a budget. Finally, preferably during the summer, we’d go strolling around downtown Chicago.

Irais is pursuing a marketing major at The University of Illinois at Chicago. Coming from the small country town of Harvard, Illinois, she knows there's a whole neighborhood left for her to explore. Checking off her bucket list activities is what she does in the afternoons and weekends when she’s not napping. She currently cherishes her vast music playlist, Netflix account, Pinterest boards, and her growing show collection of Chucks and wedges. Catch her trying to Penny board to class.
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.