This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Edgar Lamont Anderson, Jr., better known as L.A. VanGogh, is a 21-year-old senior studying Political Science here at UIC. As L.A. VanGogh, he “writes, raps, performs poetry, produces and engineers, composes, tells corny jokes, and holds notes,” as he likes to say. You can check out his amazing music and see what he is up to directly on his site!

HC (HerCampus): What piqued your interest in music? When did you start rapping?

LA (Lamont Anderson): I started taking my rapping abilities seriously around the age of 15. Around this same time, I was just introduced to producing as well, but I would attribute my interest to rap well to hearing Lupe Fiasco’s song “Coulda Been” and Charles Hamilton’s “Pink Lavalamp” mix tape. I’ve always had a love for music though. Before I hit puberty, I had some vocals and I’ve been writing poetry and songs since like age 6.

HC: Where did the name L.A. VanGogh come from?

LA: I AM NOT FROM LOS ANGELES (lol, I get it all the time). Well, the L.A. comes from my middle initial and last name. I’ve always gone by my middle name to distinguish between my father and me because we share the same name. The “VanGogh” comes from my ability to paint images with words. It didn’t become my name until I said a line in a rap like, “I’m the Da Vinci of 16s, VanGogh of the flow.” Subsequently, my friend, with whom I was in a rap group at the time, started calling me “VanGogh.” It has been that way since.

HC: Do you write all your own music?

LA: I write most of my own music. Sometimes, I have input and help from my friends around me that write. Sometimes, my friends will have a shell of an idea for a hook, or even a full song, but they can’t finish it, so they’ll send it to me and I’ll either add to it to be a feature on the song, or, in a couple instances, it would become a song that only I rap or sing on, but that they’ve initially started.

HC: Is there anything or anyone who inspires your music? If so, who or what?LA: Good, philosophical conversation inspires a lot of my theories in music. Also, a lot of my songs will start off as jokes or sayings that my friends and I say. Artistically, my closest friends, who happen to be awesome poets, writers, and singers because they push me to be better, inspire me. From rap, I get a bunch of inspiration from battle rap and Jay Electronica. They always make me want to write the hardest verses ever. Right now, I’m on this mission to outdo Frank Ocean. Frank’s an amazing writer. I’m trying to have a consistent level of Frank Ocean-caliber writing. Ultimately, I want to be better than all of these people that inspire me. Competition makes great art.

HC: What genre would you put your music under?LA: I don’t like being put in boxes because I do so much, and I am inspired by so much. I feel like I have my own genre that is a blend of hip-hop, R&B, IDM (Intelligent Dance Music), and ethereal soul. Personally, I call it “2AM Music” because it reflects a lot of what I think about at 2AM in the morning. But, to be simple about it: Hip-Hop/R&B.

HC: How do you feel performing in front of people? Is there anything you want your audience to get out of your performance?

LA: I have to make myself comfortable to perform, so I put myself in a zone where I just make sure I stay true to myself. I’m a real chill guy, so I don’t “turn up” and move too much, but I do my best to make sure presence fills up the stage and that my emotion gets across. I want my audience to see that I take my craft very seriously, but I also have a lot of fun.

HC: What do you do to get your name out there? How do you advertise your music?

LA: I do a lot of posting on my own website and through Twitter, Instagram, and word of mouth through friends. Also, I perform at a lot of open mics throughout the city. That’s good promo.

HC: Do you have any goals for your music? If so, what?

LA: I want my music to change lives and touch people. I want my music to answer questions that individuals have about themselves. I want it to help me find who I am, too. At the same time, I want it to challenge what society considers “standard” and what individuals think as “cool” or the “norm.” The most important part of my process is asking “why” I am doing something. I want my music to make people ask “why?”

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What is your dream job?

LA: I think that’s too far ahead to concern myself with. My long term goal is to make a great living off of my talents, take care of those that I love, and help rebuild damaged urban communities while creating new ones. I don’t know. I AIN’T GOT THE ANSWERS, SWAY! In 10 years, I might have a house in the woods, a garden, a family, and a huge studio. At the same time, who’s to say I’ll still even be on the planet? (depressing, right? lol) I think there’s a lot to worry about now that my generation and I have to tackle.

HC: What celebrity do you think you would be best friends with? Why?

LA: Definitely Dave Chappelle or Louis C.K. because I feel like we share the same satirical humor, but we have so many important things to say. I wish I was around when Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, and George Carlin were in their primes. T-Pain seems funny and weird like me. Frank Ocean, Childish Gambino, Tina Fey, Emma Stone, Ellen Page, and anyone I could learn and build with, but still confide in. I like funny people. I like smiling with people. I’d be a good friend with anyone funny, creative, and open-minded. I’m indecisive. *shrug*

Sydney is currently a junior at UIC. Apart from writing the Campus Celebrity column for HerCampus-UIC, she also serves as the Vice President in her sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma. As of now her major is undeclared, however she would like to major in marketing and finance. When she is not on campus, she is working at her internships, going to concerts, hanging out with friends, and enjoying life as it comes. In the future she hopes to go into some sort of public relations career, such as event planning, but also keeps her options open. Sydney works hard and tries to take advantage of as many opportunities that come her way!
UIC Contributor.