Breaking Barriers Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Phi Kappa Psi turned junk into a successful philanthropy event on campus this past Friday. Breaking Barriers brought attention to surpassing social and cultural barriers within the UIC community. A five-hour gap allowed participants to pledge against the idea of racism, sexism, and prejudge acts by smashing a graffitied car near the Jane Addams Hull-House Museum. Hundreds of students passed, partook, swung, and/or cheered our generation’s attempt at minimizing these negative barriers in our society.

Three swings had a $5 charge. The brothers of Phi Kappa Psi were there hyping up the participants with music and support to raise funds for the Boys & Girls Club of America, Medlife at UIC, and The American Civil Liberties Union.

“I think that not only was the whole event great for charity, but the whole underlying message of breaking social barriers was fantastic especially in society today with what’s going on in this country and others as well.” –Richard Vizcayno (Phi Kappa Psi Member)

Chancellor Michael Amiridis had the honorary first swing to start things off. It was great to see UIC stand behind a move toward positive change for the present and the future. We’re UIC and we’re breaking barriers!

“It feels good to have a brotherhood with people who are conscious of the social barriers that divide people from progression and marginalize groups of people. Made me proud seeing the boys throw swings at these issues.” –Michael Elliott (Phi Kappa Psi Member)

Irais is pursuing a marketing major at The University of Illinois at Chicago. Coming from the small country town of Harvard, Illinois, she knows there's a whole neighborhood left for her to explore. Checking off her bucket list activities is what she does in the afternoons and weekends when she’s not napping. She currently cherishes her vast music playlist, Netflix account, Pinterest boards, and her growing show collection of Chucks and wedges. Catch her trying to Penny board to class.
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.