This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Basic Info:

Cutie: Ashley Serrano

Year: Senior

Major: Communication (and a Psychology minor; working towards a M.S. in Speech-Language Pathology)

Heritage: Filipino with Spanish maternal ancestors and Chinese paternal ancestors

Hometown: Born in Ravenswood and raised in Mundelein

Campus Life:

Local or Commuter: Local—hibernating in JST.

What are you involved with on campus: I have been a staff tutor at UIC’s Writing Center for over a year now. I do in-person, online, and group work sessions with undergrad and grad students on writing assignments of all genres/courses. You might catch me sitting at the front desk on some days, too.

Also, for one semester I was part of Trade Winds, which is a program where new international students are paired up with domestic students.

What is your favorite thing about UIC: It’s culturally diverse student population and prime location

What is your least favorite thing about UIC: The inconsistent Wi-Fi reception

Who is your favorite professor at UIC: Can I choose more than one? I loved Aušra Bużėnas (GWS 101), Arindam Saha (ENGL 103), Andy Baker (MUS 114), Hui-Ching Chang (COMM 102), and Katherine Zinsser (PSCH 320).

What are your plans after graduation: I plan to work for a while and travel to different countries before pursuing grad school at Rush University, University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Washington, or Elmhurst College.

Fun facts:

If you could have any power for an entire day, what would it be: I would have the knowledge and talent of all the Iron Chefs to prepare endless plates of delicious food and eat until I can’t anymore.

What’s your favorite quote: “Don’t look to other people for validation. Your birth was your validation.” –An unnamed man from Humans of New York

One interesting fact about you: I can rip a phonebook in half.

Describe yourself in three words: Funny, sunny, bunny

Love Life:

Single or taken: Taken by the universe’s sweetest man

Celebrity crush(s): I know it sounds grim, but most of my celebrity crushes are dead musicians. My #1 will always be Jim Morrison. My living crushes are Tom Hardy and Chris Cornell.

What is your deal maker: Someone who has a similar sense of humor, who is like-minded in issues that are important to me but is still a source of growth and adventure, and who is family-oriented

Describe your ideal boyfriend/girlfriend? Jim Morrison minus the drug/alcohol addiction

What is your deal breaker: Someone who is unambitious, ignorant, and a picky eater

Jenny is a UIC student majoring in Political Science. She is a Batman enthusiast and has an obsession with the ocean and sailing.
UIC Contributor.