This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Angelo is currently a senior pre-law student, double majoring in Criminal, Law and Justice (CLJ) and Anthropology. Outside of school, he is a huge movie fanatic. Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and 300 are among his favorites. He enjoys most films that tell epic adventure stories. Aside from this, some of his interests and hobbies include sports and working out, politics, and bringing people together. In general, he likes surrounding himself with positive influences and with people who have positive outlooks on life. On a more personal level, he is very family oriented. Family comes first.

HC (Her Campus): What piqued your interest in student government? Was this something new or do you have a high school background?

AT (Angelo Tzivas): In high school, I participated in the Illinois Youth in Government program. Through this, I learned the basics of Robert’s Rules as well as the basic structure of Congress. Once I got to college, my fraternity is what really sparked my interest in organizational structure and leadership.  Soon enough, I joined the Undergraduate Student Government. Since then, my interest in university and governmental relations has significantly increased.

HC: What is your position in Student Government?

AT: I am the Speaker of the Assembly

HC: Do you find it difficult to make decisions for thousands of students?

AT: When making decisions that can potentially impact many people, it is important to be morally, ethically, and logically smart. With that being said, I try my absolute best to make decisions with my mind, and not with my emotions. Since I’m able to make rational decisions on short notice, I actually like being in a position that I’m in. The way I see it, if I’m not pulling the trigger on tough decisions, than someone else will. I make all of my decisions with a very conscious mind. So no, I usually don’t find it too difficult to make most decisions.

HC: Is there anything you wish to change about UIC?

AT: Yes! We NEED a Chipotle on campus!

HC: In addition to Student Government, what else are you involved in?

AT: Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity, the Student Centers Board, the Student Conduct Board, Hellenic Students Association, and Orthodox Christian Fellowship.

HC: Do you hold any other positions in other organizations?

AT: Yep. In addition to being the current Speaker in USG, I have also served as a former Vice President of TKE and former co-president of HSA.

HC: Do you have a role model who inspires you?

AT: Yes! My dad has been my biggest inspiration and role model.  He came to America when he was 19 years old, didn’t have any money and didn’t know anybody. Through hard work, perseverance and dedication, he has accomplished so much.  He is a successful entrepreneur, owns his own business, and lives a happy life with a great family.

HC: Walk us through a day in the life as Angelo Tzivas.

AT: My daily schedule is extremely dynamic, and I absolutely love it.  Every day brings new adventures. One day, I might be completely zoned in on school. Another day, I might be in meetings for hours, working on solving a multitude of issues. Other days, I could be doing anything from community service, to working out, or even simply hanging out with friends. I think of everyday as a different chapter of an extremely diverse and dynamic book.

HC: Is it hard to manage your time?

AT: Honestly, I have a pretty good grasp on my time. However, the hardest part about managing my time is that since I’m a part of so many different organizations, things always come up. I always find myself having to shift things around in my schedule.  But knowing that, I always do my absolute best to make sure I’m always in control of my schedule.

HC: Do you have a balance between your work and personal life?

AT: Of course! Monday through Friday, I’m strictly business. But once the weekend rolls around, I’m fun and games. Luckily, I genuinely have fun while working. Being a student leader is awesome.  Although there’s a lot of work that comes with the positions, I really enjoy being able to make a difference.

HC: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

AT: Ten years from now, I hope to be living a happy and healthy life. Right now, the plan is to go to law school. After that, we’ll see. One step at a time. All I know is that I want to continue to make positive impacts on peoples’ lives. Whether that means being a lawyer, going into politics, or even completely changing my mind on what I want to do, I know that I want to be a difference maker.

HC: What celebrity would you take out to dinner and why?

AT: Leonardo DiCaprio. He is hands down the best actor in Hollywood. Always surround yourself with the best people!

Sydney is currently a junior at UIC. Apart from writing the Campus Celebrity column for HerCampus-UIC, she also serves as the Vice President in her sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma. As of now her major is undeclared, however she would like to major in marketing and finance. When she is not on campus, she is working at her internships, going to concerts, hanging out with friends, and enjoying life as it comes. In the future she hopes to go into some sort of public relations career, such as event planning, but also keeps her options open. Sydney works hard and tries to take advantage of as many opportunities that come her way!
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.