8 Things only Biology Majors at UIC Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

1. Automatically being thrown into the ‘Pre-Med’ pile

Yes, a good chunk of biology majors have plans of going to Medical school, but there are also endless other careers that can be pursued with this degree.

2. ‘You’re a bio major right? Why is my eye red?’

Our guess is just as good as yours. Just because I have taken some biology classes does not make me a certified physician. People fail to realize that most of our classes are composed of material related to cells, plants and animals.

3. SES is your second home

If you do not have at least one class a semester in SES 250, you feel out of place and lost.

4. Standing throughout a 3 hour lab every week never becomes routine

Are stools during labs too much to ask? And if you have an 8 am, I have nothing to say to you.

5. Constantly thinking about how much easier life would be if you just switched your major

I like history, I understand history, I should major in history.

6. ‘Rate My Professor’ is your savior

Just checking the reviews on your professor can be the difference between getting an A and good recommendation versus a 30% and having to go through this whole process again during a new semester.

7. You lose at least one class friend a semester

You will know at least one person each semester that decides to take a different route when it comes to their major. It can sometimes be discouraging, but just keep swimming.

8. Your TA is either your best friend or worst enemy

There is no in between. They either have your back, or want to make your experience a living hell.

Being a biology major can sometimes be difficult and we may have many days where we just want to give it all up and stay in bed, but we would not want to have it any other way.

Sally Ndir is a junior studying Biological Sciences at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She enjoys eating out, shopping in the city, and fashion.
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.