Style

8 Things To Know Before Getting A Tattoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Pain Varies 

People love to either understate or exaggerate the pain of getting a tattoo. The pain will vary depending on your tolerance. I personally have a low tolerance and before getting my first tattoo I was extremely nervous. I could not imagine myself sitting through the pain of a needle poking me for a consecutive hour or two. But, fortunately for me, getting a tattoo did not hurt as bad as I thought. It is more of just an annoying sensation. You will just have to experience it for yourself.

Start Small

Since you do not know if you can handle the pain, it is best to start small. It would be a bad idea to start a tattoo if you will not be able to finish it. I recommended starting with a design that is only three to four inches. After, if you are comfortable, you can then get bigger ones.

Know Exactly What You Want

You need to have a plan before going in. Use Google, Pinterest, and Tumblr to get some ideas rolling. Not all tattoos have to have meaning. It can be anything you want, just make sure it is exactly what you want.

Draw It On Yourself

Before getting a tattoo, I drew what I wanted on a piece of paper first and then on myself. You can use a washable marker or a liquid eyeliner. Take the time to get it to look exactly how you want, that way you can have a general idea of how the real tattoo will look.

Choose Your Artist Wisely

Don’t go to someone just because they are offering you a cheap price. Take the time to find an artist that has a style you like. Go through different portfolios when deciding on an artist.  

Ask Questions

Do not be shy, ask all kinds of questions. There is no such thing as a stupid or bad question when it comes to something that is going to be on your body forever. Ask about pricing, how long he or she has been tattooing for, possible side effects, touch-ups, and anything you wish to know.

Understand Pricing

The price of a tattoo usually depends on its size. The bigger it is, the more expensive it will be. Keep in mind that a good tattoo will not be cheap. Make sure to discuss a down payment and overall pricing before taking any other action.

Communicate With Your Artist

If you do not communicate with your artist thoroughly, there is a possibility you may not get what you originally wanted and planned for. Tell them what you do and do not want and what you’re willing to be flexible about.

Stephanie Saranga is an charismatic, loving, and hard working student who is currently attending The University of Illinois at Chicago. She plans to major in Urban Education and master in Speech Pathology. During her free time she enjoys to listen to music (specifically rap and R&B), read, bake, and paint.
UIC Contributor.