jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

7 Ways To Start Your Morning Off Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

1. Wake up early

Waking up early can sound dreadful to some, but the pros in doing so are worth it. Waking up early allows you to start your day off in a peaceful and leisurely manner. You will not feel rushed and the morning hours are a perfect time to get things accomplished. It allows for time to wake up fully in high spirits.

2. Stretch or meditate

Stretching and meditation in the morning allows you to loosen up your muscles and increase blood flow. It gives you an opportunity to connect with your mind, relieve stress, and improve emotional stability.

3. Drink something warm

Having a warm glass of lemon water or a hot cup of coffee is perfect for everyday mornings. Warm lemon water cleanses and stimulates your liver and kidneys. It contains vitamin C which is beneficial for your immune system. It also stimulates your metabolism and digestion. A cup of coffee will give you energy due to the caffeine and keep you feeling cozy.

4. Stay hydrated

After hours of sleep, your body will need a glass of water. Drinking water helps maintain the balance of your bodily fluids. It is important to keep your body hydrated and drink half of your weight in ounces. For example, if you weigh 100 pounds you should drink 50 fluid ounces.

5. Eat a nutritious breakfast

I am a firm believer that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Try eating lean protein, healthy fats, and whole grain foods in the morning. This will give you energy for the rest of the day.

6. Refrain from going on technology right away

It is common that the first thing people do when they wake up is use their smartphone or computer. Doing this takes away present-moment awareness. Radiation can also damage your eyes.

7. Go to bed early

The most important thing you can do to have a good morning, is to go to bed at a good time. There will be no such thing as a good morning if you’re unbearably tired. Try to get 7 to 8 hours of sleep every night, that way your body will wake up feeling rejuvenated.

Stephanie Saranga is an charismatic, loving, and hard working student who is currently attending The University of Illinois at Chicago. She plans to major in Urban Education and master in Speech Pathology. During her free time she enjoys to listen to music (specifically rap and R&B), read, bake, and paint.
UIC Contributor.