neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Tips For Class Registration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

I know everyone, for the most part, is finished with their course selections for next semester. Well, here is what I suggest for future reference.

1. Meet with your advisor(s)

If you declared a major, consult your major advisor. If you have a minor, meet with your minor advisor. For general education requirements, seek out your academic advisor. This ensures that you are taking the right classes and that you are on track for graduation. If you are unsure what classes to take, your advisor can help you map out your four-year plan. Collegiettes, this is what the advisor(s) are here for – part of your tuition covers these services, so you might as well make good use of it! 

2. Find out your time ticket

If you log into my.UIC > Academics > Registration > Banner 8 Registration > Registration Eligibility > Select Term > Submit, and it should show you the exact time you will be allowed to register for classes. Set a reminder on your phone, write it down on your planner, and this will ensure that you do not miss out on your desired classes. 

3. Research: 

• Find out what classes you need to take
  • Find out what classes are offered; some classes are exclusive to Fall or Spring semesters
  • Find out when the class is offered
  • Find out who the professor will be

4. Consult RateMyProfessors for student reviews on the professor

Try to have an open-mind as you are reading the reviews, and try not to let these comments overwhelm you; the reviews can sometimes be irrelevant depending on the situation, and every student will have a different experience with the professor. At the end of the day, the professors are here to help enrich your learning. 

5. Build multiple schedules – there may be an unforeseen conflict, so be prepared

• Using courses with multiple time slots available
  • Figure out what time during the day works best for you (i.e. I cannot function after 2 p.m., so all my classes start and end prior to this)
  • Maybe you will have to slightly alter your plan (i.e. taking a class this semester instead of the next or vice versa)

6. Check on the status of your desired course

If there is a class you really want to or have to take, keep an eye on the seats available. For example, I know the Communication (COMM) courses are very popular at UIC, and they fill up quickly. 

7. Write down the Course Numbers, and use it to register

If you have the numbers written down on a sheet of paper, you can quickly register as soon as the portal opens up for you.

Good luck!

Hello, everyone, my name is Shirley Toy. I am a graduate of the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) with a Bachelor's in English, concentrating in Professional Writing and double minors in Spanish and Communication. I am an alum of Her Campus at UIC, where I served as a writer, Co-Campus Correspondent, and Editor-in-Chief. At the National level, I served as a Chapter Advisor for the 2017-2018 academic year. These opportunities are perfect because I get to merge my passions for writing, leadership, and technology together. Follow & Tweet me on Twitter @_shirleyst!
UIC Contributor.