jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Sad Songs for the Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Fall is here and with the changing seasons come the changing feelings. Shorter days, chilly nights, and gloomy weather can come along with mixed emotions. Whether you’re going through a heartache or heartbreak, or just feeling the October mood, I present to you 7 underrated, heart wrenching love songs you must hear.

1. NYLA / Blackbear

It’s no secret that fall weather is cuddle weather. Unfortunately, going away for college can create an issue for some couples due to distance. If a long distance relationship is keeping you from snuggling up next to your loved one this season, then ‘NYLA’ is a song for you. 

Key lyric: “My heart it burns, yes it burns, 2800 miles away, and I’ll be asleep by the time you’re awake”

2. BLUE / Troye Sivan

As the saying goes, feelings change like the seasons. If you feel like the one you love is starting to grow distant, but you’re not ready to let go, ‘BLUE’ is the perfect song for you to cry to.

Key lyric: “I fell in love with a heart that beats so slow, I want you, I’ll color me blue, anything it takes to make you stay.”

3. fallingforyou / The 1975

fallingforyou’ is definitely a go to song if you’re crushing hard this season, but are stuck in the friend zone. We’ve all been in this heart-aching situation, and we all know how painful it can be. 

Key lyric: “I don’t want to be your friend; I want to kiss your neck.”

4. Love is a Losing Game / Amy Winehouse

For those of you who have fallen out of love recently and are bitter about it, ‘Love is a Losing Game,’ is a song you’ll relate to.

Key lyric: “One I wish I never played, oh what a mess we made, and now the final frame, love is a losing game.”

5. yea, babe, no way / LANY

‘yea, babe, no way,’ is a great song to jam out to if you’ve been reminiscing on past relationships. Nostalgia can hurt, especially when you find yourself surrounded by cute couples during the fall season.

Key lyric: “Everything was better when you would call and I’d be like, yea babe, we should talk about love again. Every night I’m wide awake, I almost call you and then I’m like no way.”

6. Don’t Wanna Be Your Girl / Wet

As mentioned in #2, feelings change with the seasons. If you’re in a position where you’re not sure if it’s time to end a relationship or not, you should give ‘Don’t Wanna Be Your Girl’ a listen.

Key lyric: “I’m not living right, so I decide that I don’t wanna be your girl no more.”

7. Ivy / Frank Ocean

One of the hardest things to do in a relationship is admit that you were wrong. If you and your other half have had a falling out, and you know your mistakes are to blame, ‘Ivy’ is the song you should have on repeat.

Key lyric: “It’s alright to hate me now, we both know that deep down, the feeling still deep down is good.”

UIC Contributor.