This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

The winter blues are very common, with many of us experiencing some sort of mood shift during the colder, darker days of winter. You may find yourself feeling sluggish, fatigued, or downright awful, and you’re not alone. Below are some tips to help you get through these difficult times. 

Keep a Consistent Schedule

Staying on top of things, like your homework, is no easy task, especially when you’re not feeling like yourself and you have a million things to get done that day. Which is why keeping a consistent schedule is key. According to Harvard Med, it’s been proven that getting up at the same time everyday can reinforce our circadian rhythm, prompting our bodies to go to sleep at the same time every night. This keeps our bodily functions and cycles operating efficiently, making us feel strong and energized. Now, while our classes may change every semester, that doesn’t mean we can’t get in the habit of writing down our assignments for the week and getting that A we all so desperately want. Not everyone has the same schedule, since for some exercising and going to bed is the consistently they need, but simply having some sort of routine will help in the long run.  

Get Enough Sleep, but Try Not to Oversleep

As we all know, getting enough sleep is a crucial part of our lives. Without it, we tend to feel drained, agitated, run-down, etc. Which means getting those 7-9 hours of sleep is essential in order for us to feel well rested, and ready to tackle on the day. On the other hand, we can overdo it, and end up right where we started: tired. That’s why the next time you’re feeling down, and you know you’re not getting an adequate amount of sleep, or you’re sleeping too much, then you know it’s time to make a change. Set those alarms if you have to, but try to make this a priority.    

Get Up and Move Around

On those cold, dark days, the last thing you want to do is get up from that comfy and warm spot you’ve created for yourself, but it’s important to keep moving and stay active. Keeping up with school, work, or any responsibilities will give you that extra boost and focus that will make it easier for you to weather the tough days. For those of you who don’t have a lot of free time, even setting aside 5-10 minutes a day will get the blood flowing, and make you feel better. 

Try Something New When You’re Bored

With the pandemic still at large, I know many of us are feeling extra bored right now and can’t always figure out what to do. If you’ve always wanted to try baking, painting, or journaling, then now’s the perfect time to do it! Have a makeup palette that’s been sitting on your desk for weeks? This is your sign to finally try it. For some, staying busy and trying something new is exactly what they need in order to snap out of their funk, and get going. However, other people may simply need to lay in bed and binge-watch episodes of Gossip Girl, which is totally acceptable. We all have our own thing, and if doing that thing makes you feel better, then I say do it! 

Continue Doing Things You Love to Do

Just because you’re feeling the winter blues, doesn’t mean you have to stop doing the things that bring you joy. Maybe you just need a break, and a little R&R (Rest and Recreation), but afterwards you should most definitely do what you love most. Whether that’s reading, listening to music, dancing, or screaming at the top of your lungs when you’re frustrated, then I say go for it. Doing the things that make you happy should always be at the top of your list when trying to feel like yourself again.

Treat Yourself 

Sometimes the best way to instantly feel better is by treating yourself. Be honest, when was the last time you treated yourself to anything? You definitely deserve it. Try a new face mask, have a movie night, eat those cookies I know you want to eat, and have some fun! Treating yourself doesn’t have to require spending any money, because as much as I personally love to online shop, my wallet sure doesn’t. As trapped as we may be feeling with it being so cold and gloomy outside, we don’t have to feel that way all of the time. 

Having the Winter Blues is never fun. No one likes to feel down, or even tell another person they feel this way, but it’s part of being human, and at one point or another, life gets to each of us. Things get real hard, but that’s okay. If life was always glitter and rainbows, then you’re probably not living your best life!

Gaby is a senior at the University of Illinois at Chicago, majoring in Communication and Psychology. In her free time, she likes to eat sushi, workout, and read books.
UIC Contributor.