5 Ways to Avoid Social Media While Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Time and time again, we find ourselves scrolling through social media, knowing very well that we need to study for that important test tomorrow! So what are you to do?

Here are some easy ways to avoid the temptation and get back on track:

1. Turn your phone off and leave it away from your person

Turn it off! Do not let that little computer of yours take over your grades! Focus on what you’re doing and make sure the telephone is far away! This will help you think less about what everyone else is doing and think more about what you are doing.

2. Give your phone to a nearby parent or friend and tell them not to give it back until a certain time

If the first tip did not help, then get rid of your device for a few hours. Give it to whoever lives with you and tell them to hold on to it for a few hours.

3. Delete your favorite apps and then re-download them when you get your work done

Delete the apps! The hassle of removing them will get you right on task with what you’re actually supposed to be doing!

4. Go on a social media cleanse

Try to stay away from these addicting apps! Sometimes giving them up is what is best in order to make sure our grades and education are being put first.

5. Turn off any alerts or notifications if you decide to keep your device on

The simplest thing you can do is turn off your alerts and notifications on your device. Turning off notifications will keep you from looking at your phone. This reduces the temptation of picking it up and getting distracted.

Happy Studying!

My name is Evelyn I love to be adventurous and try new things. I am a pre-nutrition major at the University of Illinois-Chicago. I love food, friends, and tacos.
UIC Contributor.