5 things to look for when applying for an internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

When discussing the topic of occupation, many individuals get a bit apprehensive at the thought of even applying for a job that they will have for the rest of their lives. When it really comes down to it, you are your own person, and you must decide what is best for you to be able to progress in your future of employment. You have to put the effort into researching your potential position and organization before jumping in because you feel like it would be a great fit; there is definitely more to deciding than might let on. Some things to consider are:

1. Location

Oftentimes when college students are searching for an internship, they look for a position that is near the school they are attending. It could be for convenience, or it could just be something preferred because it works with their schedule. Many college students in big cities rely on public transportation, to get them to school, so it is safe to say that many of those students will also rely on public transportation to get them anywhere else in the city, including to work. So when researching and applying, take into consideration the distance you may need to travel and how it will work with your daily schedule.

2. Benefits

By this, I don’t mean health benefits, although, it would be nice. I mean benefits that would help increase your chances of being noticed and help move you up as you go along with your career. Many internships will have you to work for them for free. Unfortunately, this is the norm; but aiming for an internship that DOES, in fact, pay you to do the work you are assigned is a better outcome for both parties. Also, the more work you put in helps you advance and get recognition from other potential career options.

3. Offers

When applying for a position in the internship world, it’s important to remember that not all positions are equal; many do. It offers the same opportunities. Some offer payment, while others just need an assistant around the office. It’s important to remember what you are focusing on; it could be writing an article for the news station you are interning for, an attempt at a new building design for the architecture firm, or maybe you really do just want to be the assistant in the office and make copies and run and get everyone coffee when need be. Whatever it is, make sure it is what you want and what will help you move up the line and get noticed by other employees who may offer you a permanent position, instead of just a summer job.

4. Payment

This is a tough subject; many do not know how to tackle it. When applying, do some research about the minimum wage range. Figure out how much someone your age should be making. Aim a little higher, but not so high that you are asking for too much. For example, say minimum wage is $9.50, when asked for preferred salary, aim for $10.50 or even $11 an hour. It may not seem like much, but over time, it definitely adds up. In order for this to truly work, prove to your potential employer that this is an accurate rate for someone like you. Strive to be the best employee you can be. There should be no doubt in your mind that you cannot quickly make your way up the income ladder.

5. Reputation

The company or industry of interest is something fairly simple to research and figure out before applying. Google is a great place to start in means of researching what your potential position could be like. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of reviews all over the internet of the places you may choose to apply for. There are reviews about specific positions, various responsibilities, experiences of working with certain people, and even overall opinions and what to expect when applying and working wherever it may be. When looking for your perfect fit, make sure it is a position that will both help you learn what is expected from someone in your position and advance you to help you gain the career you’ve had your heart set out on since day one.

All in all, it’s entirely up to you to look for what you find most appealing. Only you know what you want, and only you know how you can accomplish it.

(Photos courtesy of pexels.com)

My name is Maggie, and I am currently a junior at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC). My major is English, with a concentration in professional and technical writing. Currently, I am interning at Classic Chicago Magazine, an online magazine located in the city of Chicago, and I am one of their social media correspondents. Being a member of HerCampus UIC is wonderful opportunity and exactly what I need to learn how to achieve my goals while enhancing my writing and technology skills.
UIC Contributor.