5 Reasons College And Mental Disorders Don’t Equal Fun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

We all know that as the days grow colder and darker, moods can take an annoying plummet. This causes many of us to grow irritated or gloomy, unwilling to get up early in the morning to catch the much needed train ride to campus to start off the new semester on the right track. Some of us may even gain a few pounds as Halloween and Thanksgiving roll around. But, no matter how crappy the day may be, we can always pull through, right? Well, sadly, not all of us have the luxury to give ourselves a few words of motivation or a small pat on the back to keep chugging through. “Aw, you nasty Midterms! I’ll get you this time. I got this!”

People with mood disorders and anxiety disorders (i.e Bipolar Disorder 1&2, persistent depressive disorder, and GAD- general anxiety disorder) can’t just give themselves a small pat on the back or quick words of motivation to get out of that slump, even smiling in the mirror can be impossible.

1. Getting up from bed is a war in it of itself.

It really doesn’t matter what time your class starts; 9am, 11am, 4:30pm classes get the same lovely treatment of disinterest and gloom. It doesn’t even matter if you live 5 minutes or an hour away from campus, either. Let’s suppose you suffer from bipolar disorder (mania or hypomania), if you’re in a depressive episode and you’re just not feeling like getting up, chances are you won’t be getting up soon if at all.

“Oh, it’s time for class? Meh, not today.”

2. Getting singled out in class is like getting shot in the toe. 

I have social anxiety, so having my professor call me out for whatever reason (i.e. knitting in class, yes, it’s happened, answer their question on what “rhetoric” means today) is torture. My throat clenches up, my heart decides to run a marathon throughout my body as my blood freezes up, and my toes literally fall off. It doesn’t matter that I know what “rhetoric” by today’s contexts, means, or that I did deserve that scolding for bringing my knitting supplies to class (I was knitting a scarf for my sister, what can I say?), ,y anxiety won’t let me do anything. Let me learn from the experience because all that goes through my mind is the need to melt in that very moment.

3. Homework just isn’t a thing.

From my own personal and observatory experience, people with mood and anxiety disorders have a difficult time doing and even wanting to do their homework. Why?

Homework stresses you out, especially if you don’t know what you’re doing, and anxieties will not let you ask for help. Getting a bad grade because you don’t know what you’re doing also stresses you out. Stressing out stresses you out. Huh, such a vicious cycle.

Of course, this isn’t always a thing, but mostly it is. Some people are really good at making it through the homework part of college life either thanks to a good (let’s consider it happy) manic/hypomanic mood or great friends and family who motivate you.

4. Partying, drinking, smoking? Not a good idea.

According to the Foundations Recovery Network, many people resort to substance abuse (alcohol drinking, cannabis, and drugs like meth) in order to deal with the many symptoms associated with complex mental conditions. Relying on these substances as a means to deal with the conditions only increases the risk if physical and psychological harm, leading to co-occurring disorders for those with mood disorders. So, stay sober lovelies. The booze isn’t worth it.

5. Finding out you’re bipolar, depressed, or prone to unhealthy amounts of anxiety in college is not only heart-breaking, but debilitating.

Imagine it’s 2am. You have a final paper, 10 pages minimum, due tomorrow at 9am sharp; the works. And…you don’t have a single word. You’re having a panic attack, you can’t breathe, and you’re going to fail. This is your first time ever experiencing such anxiety, such pain…is it even reality anymore? This can’t be you, but it is. 

You’re afraid of what people will think of you if you go seek help. But, you know you need help. But, you really can’t go or they’ll put you on pills and call you crazy, right? This is a painful reality many go through, especially college students.

We’re barely adults, and yet we’re expected to always know what to say, do, or react to the ups and downs of life. People, please! Expecting a freshman fresh out of high school to file their taxes on time is too much to ask for. Asking students to not freak out when they first learn that they may need psychiatric help is insanely uncalled for, we just can’t do it. I’m sorry…not sorry.