This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Avocadoes are tasty fruits that can be incorporated into a diverse range of recipes, some of which are not expected and can surprise you. Check out these easy and quick recipes to expand your knowledge on how to use avocadoes the next time you want to prepare a meal or a snack.

Avocado Mango Salsa

Ingredients:

• 1 Avocado (peeled, pitted, and sliced)
  • 1 Lime (juiced)
  • 1 Habanero Pepper (seeded and finely chopped)
  • 1 Tablespoon of fresh, finely chopped, Cilantro
  • 1 Mango (peeled, seeded, and diced)
  • 1 Small Red Onion (finely chopped)
  • Salt to taste

Procedure:

• After peeling, chopping, and dicing the proper ingredients, mix everything into a bowl, add salt and lime juice, and enjoy this avocado mango salsa with some tortilla chips!

Avocado Lime Popsicles

Ingredients:

• 2 Ripe Avocadoes (peeled and pitted)
  • 1 Cup of Low-Fat Milk OR Reduced Fat Coconut Milk
  • 1/4 Cup of Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons of Lime Juice (or one large lime juiced)
  • 1/8 Tablespoon of Salt
  • 6 Popsicle Molds

Procedure: Add all of these ingredients into a blender, start blending, and add more milk if the mixture is too thick. Then, pour the mixture into 6 popsicle molds and freeze overnight.

Avocado Toast

Ingredients:

• 1 Avocado (cut in half, peeled, and pitted)
  • 2 Slices of Bread (toasted)
  • Red Pepper Flakes

Procedure: Spread half of the avocado onto one piece of toast, then, repeat this step for the second piece toast, add red pepper flakes to each piece for some more flavor and spice.

Kiwi Avocado Smoothie 

Ingredients:

• Half an Avocado (peeled and pitted)
  • 2 Kiwis (sliced and peeled)
  • 1/8 Cup of Lime Juice
  • 1/8 Cup of Milk
  • Honey, if desired
  • 2-4 Ice Cubes or as many as you want to add

Procedure: Add all of these ingredients into a blender and blend until creamy and smooth, then pour into a glass and enjoy this delicious and sweet drink!

My Personal Favorite: Guacamole!

Ingredients:

• 2 Avocadoes (peeled, pitted, and mashed into a bowl)
  • Handful of Cilantro (fresh and finely chopped)
  • 1 Tomato (finely diced)
  • 1 Jalapeno (finely diced)
  • Half of a Medium Sized Red Onion (peeled and finely diced)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1 Tablespoon of Lime Juice (added at the end)

Procedure: After mashing the avocadoes in a bowl, add the rest of the diced and chopped ingredients into that same bowl and mix. Then, add as much salt and pepper as you would like and the lime juice. Enjoy this guacamole with some tortilla chips or tostadas.

Odalys Lopez is a fourth year college student at the University of Illinois at Chicago planning to double major in psychology and sociology with a minor in biological sciences. She loves exploring the city of Chicago, drinking coffee, watching movies and shows, writing, reading poetry, and listening to music. She loves being involved at school and in the community.
UIC Contributor.