5 Common Misconceptions About Living On Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

1. #DormLife Means No Rules, Well….That’s False

From my experience, I’ve learned that even though you aren’t living with your parents, life in the residence halls still comes with a long list of rules. As an adult, and yes (even freshman) you and only you are responsible for knowing those rules and will be held accountable if you break them. For instance, you can only have up to three guests in your room; that means no parties. I recommend getting your own place off-campus if you want more freedom.

2. Living On Campus Will Grant You This Amazing Social Life

This is also false. If you want friends, you’ll have to make them. This will most likely involve you initiating those friendships. Yes, some people are rude or standoff-ish, but don’t let this stop you from meeting some potential life-long friends. If you’re too nervous or shy to talk to someone in person, just reach out to people through social media. Good luck!

3. That Living On Campus Grants You All The Time In The World

Yes, living on campus makes college a lot easier, trust me I know. I used to commute, and it was very time-consuming. But, living on campus doesn’t give you license to skip class or neglect your assignments. I recommend putting yourself on a strict schedule and also setting aside time for yourself to relax.

4.Living On Campus Shields You From All Danger

Attempted and actual burglaries, alongside sexual assaults, are potential life-threatening situations that affect all college students at any university. If you do happen to live on campus, always lock your door! Think of your room as your house: would you ever leave your front door unlocked for hours? If you are ever in a life-threatening situation, please contact campus police immediately.

5. Roommates: You’ll Eventually Have To Deal With The Good And The Bad At Some Point

I’ve had my fair share of traumatic roommate experiences. A word of advice: change rooms or apartments as soon as possible if you feel like your life or mental health is in jeopardy. Try facilitating a peaceful and amicable relationship with your roommate(s) from the very beginning. Make time to sit down, and have serious conversations about cleaning schedules and guests. Make sure that all parties agree to these terms as well.

UIC Contributor.