This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Life gets stressful, there’s no sugarcoating it. We have a busy daily schedule as individuals, but sometimes, the rest of the world does not seem to take that into account. As a result of that, we are forced into a web of time crunches, due dates, and sleep deprivation. Let’s be honest, this is never a fun moment in one’s life, so what now? You’re stressed out over everything that has been thrown your way. The most obvious realization we make is that we are unable to get anything done when stressed. We must figure out how to get rid of it, but since we are human beings, there is always cause for concern and room for more stress. While we cannot get rid of it, we can develop ways of coping with it.

Bath Time

Everyone has their own way of addressing their needs when stressed. No one else but you knows what is right for you. One suggestion that’s often given is to take a bath, a long one to be more specific. Some suggest a really hot bath to relax your muscles and release tension. Fragrances are great additions. Some use aromatic incense to fill up the room. There is the option of physical attributes, such as rose petals in the water. Candles have relaxing scents and also play with the lighting in the bathroom. Going along with that, turning off the lights while bathing, also helps one, in a sense, “escape,” for a moment. Adding bubbles to your bathwater is more so a fun factor, but bubbles can also help you relax during your alone time. Playing soft music while lying in the tub alone creates an easy feeling, and makes it easier to focus on yourself, and forget the daily stress, even if for a moment. All of these factors play an important role, all that you have to do is relax and enjoy the quiet moment of solitude, even if it is for a split second.

Artistic Abilities

Another way to help alleviate stress is to find a creative outlet. You can draw, paint, build, or even invent anything you’d like. You can make a mess using various colors of paint, and end up creating a work of art you can call your own. Drawing imaginative creatures and figures can unleash an artistic passion of sorts, even if what you put on paper does not exist in reality. Also, when playing with physical factors, like different building materials such as wood and metal, the activity can bring out your inner architect or engineer. Even if you’re not building a new skyscraper that will be put up in a major city, it will at least help keep your mind off things for some time due to the amount of focus put into building your masterpiece.

The Great Outdoors

Something else that we can choose to engage in is one of the easiest things available to us. Simply going outdoors and enjoying the sounds and scenery of the world around us is one thing we can do on a daily basis to help us relax. We can choose to designate an hour or two of our time to roam around in a local park or natural habitat. Sometimes, it is better to be in isolation and alone with our private thoughts to process our stresses in our daily lives.

As we live day to day, we can only do so much every day of our lives. The most important thing to remember is that we are only one single person. Yes, things need to get done, but it can all be so in due time.

My name is Maggie, and I am currently a junior at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC). My major is English, with a concentration in professional and technical writing. Currently, I am interning at Classic Chicago Magazine, an online magazine located in the city of Chicago, and I am one of their social media correspondents. Being a member of HerCampus UIC is wonderful opportunity and exactly what I need to learn how to achieve my goals while enhancing my writing and technology skills.
UIC Contributor.