This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

The gift of journaling is magical for our souls and spiritual well beings. It’s one thing to say and show how you feel about life, but it’s another thing to write about your feelings. As an Urban Education major, with a concentration in English, I’ve developed my own theories of why you should invest in journaling more.

1.Telling The Truth

Black girl at computer desk writing in journal write natural work corporate african
Photo by RF._.studio from Pexels

Life is full of experiences that shift and change people in different ways. However, it’s different when you sit in those experiences and analyze them to understand why you are the way you are. When I started journaling, I felt a sense of relief because I was able to tell my stories in a way that I can understand without the opinions of others. This is important in life, since everyone influences our decisions, so we must take them apart for our sake. There are experiences that have hurt me and cost so much isolation in my life. The power of the journal, however, gave me permission to not hold back my true feelings. Therefore, I’m no longer afraid to express myself without dealing with the consequences. 

2. Discovering Me

woman sitting alone looking out window
Photo by Anthony Tran from Unsplash

Every time I pick up that pen and write something down, I discovered something about myself that I never knew was true. When I look in the mirror, I try to view another side of me that’s trying to come out but it’s scary because there’s something that’s preventing me from doing so. The journal allows me to think about who I would be if I would do things differently or just set aside my insecurities. It’s almost like I’m creating a superhero or a different portrait of the person I hope to become. I want to see myself in those fantasies that I dreamt about as a little girl: an irrepressible independent woman who’s not afraid to take risks. On the other hand, when I reflect on events from my past, I realize the negative traits that prevent me from growing as a person. It’s easy to say the good things about myself, but it’s hard to acknowledge that I have faults as well.

3. Manifesting

Three women laughing at the camera
Photo by Radomir Jordanovic from Pexels

Sometimes I forget that I’m no longer in little girl mode anymore. When I was younger, I dreamt about my career, my lifestyle, and my social life. Children fantasize all the time about their futures. Things begin to change as they age because children realize that you have to work hard to make your dreams come true. Nevertheless, I developed this theory about working hard to be successful in life. What if you manifest more in your journal? A journal is a book full of fairytales, written by real-life people. Speaking things into existence is just as powerful as writing about them. 

Nikiya Alfred is the current events director for the UIC HER CAMPUS chapter. She's a third-year college student from the University of Illinois at Chicago with a passion for problem-solving issues in the CPS system. As an Urban Education major with a concentration in English Language Arts, she wants to explore more on Educational policy. This is the perfect opportunity for her to build relationships with other women who have a passion for writing. Please follow her on Instagram @Moondoll_7.
UIC Contributor.