This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

As you’ve probably already noticed, fall season is among us. Gone are the days of shorts, sunglasses, and flip flops. It’s time to bust out the scarves, boots, and sweaters. Many people dread the fall season because it means summer is gone, school is back in session, and worst of all…winter is around the corner! Although fall comes with some annoying qualities (rain, rain go away), there are so many reasons why fall is one of my favorite seasons (Hello, pumpkin spice lattes!). Here are some things you might want to check out in Chicago before winter sets in:

1. Chicago International Film Festival

The 50th Chicago International Film Festival showcases films from countless countries including France, Belgium, and Germany. The film festival will be held October 9-23 at the AMC River East 21. The cost is $11 for students. You can also take advantage of the special Matinee price ($7 Monday-Friday before 5pm) as well as the 10 after 10 special ($10 every day after 10pm). The full film schedule will be released mid-September so you can decide which films you want to view.

2. Music Box of Horrors

Who doesn’t love scary movies? The 10th Annual Music Box of Horrors is screening several classic horror movies on October 11th and 12th. There will be food trucks, vendors, and of course…horror movies! The event is $30. Visit Music Box for tickets and the movie schedule.    

3. Bucktown Apple Pie Contest

Apple pie is an American classic so why not attend the Bucktown Apple Pie Contest? If you’re a master apple pie baker or a master apple pie eater, this event is for you. Go to Holstein Park on October 19th from 2-5pm and enjoy a crafts tent, carnival games, and inflatable pony racing!

4. Chicago Fire Festival

This spectacular event represents Chicago’s strength after the Great Fire of 1871, and the hard work of its people to building a bigger, better Chicago. There will be fireworks, music, flaming sculptures, and a tribute to Chicago’s neighborhoods. Go to the Chicago River Walk between 3pm and 9:30pm to see the Chicago River light up with fire.

5. Green Festival

The Green Festival is a weekend long event at Navy Pier on October 24th, 25th and 26th. This festival promotes all things green from food, fashion and health, to energy, construction and design. There will be vegan and vegetarian cooking demos, panels featuring inspirational speakers, and live music. There will also be a farmer’s market type of setting where around 250 eco-friendly businesses will be selling organic body care products, home products made from renewable resources, and of course vegan and vegetarian food. The tickets are $15 for the day pass, $25 for the week-end pass, and $30 for the 3 day pass. Luckily, students get a $5 discount when we bring our student ID and pay on site.

6. Pumpkin Patch

What’s fall without going to a pumpkin patch to pick out the perfect pumpkin for our jack-o-lantern? The Chicago Park District will be having several pumpkin patches throughout the city on Saturdays in October. The first one is in the Lincoln Park Zoo with a $1 entry fee. Aside from pumpkin patches, the Chicago Park District hosts several Halloween-themed events throughout Chicago. Check out their website for a list of all of them! 

7.   Haunted Houses   

My favorite thing to do once Halloween fever sets in is go to a haunted house. There are several haunted houses in the Chicagoland area. There is Statesville in Joliet, 13th Floor Haunted House in Melrose Park, Basement of the Dead in Aurora, Fear City in Morton Grove, among others. For those of us who can’t get to the suburbs, there are choices right in Chicago. Navy Pier has a Zombie-themed haunted house that charges $20 general admission to the night show. There’s also Nightmare Asylum in six corners on Milwaukee, Irving Park, and Cicero. You can find the full list of haunted houses in the Chicagoland area at this site

8.   Zoovies                                               

We can also get our scary movie fix by going to Lincoln Park Zoo and watching Ghostbusters and The Shining on October 3 (or October 10 if it rains). Movies at the Zoo, or Zoovies, are great if you’re on a budget because it’s free. That’s music to every college student’s ears!

9.  Columbus Day Parade                

Don’t you just love parades? If you do, you won’t want to miss the Columbus Day Parade downtown. On October 13th, there will be a celebration of Columbus’ discovery of the new world (History majors can debate this all they want) at 12:30pm from Balbo Ave to Monroe St.                            

10.   Hyde Park Jazz Festival

For all you jazz fans out there, you don’t want to miss the Hyde Park Jazz Festival that is coming up on September 27th and 28th. The Hyde Park Jazz Festival was named “Best Neighborhood Music Festival” by Chicago Magazine. On Saturday there will be several locations throughout Hyde Park where the performances will be held. On Sunday their performances will be held between Woodlawn Ave. and Ellis Ave. The great thing about this festival is that there is free admission with a $5 donation strongly suggested. Visit Hyde Park Jazz Festival for the full schedule of performances.

11.   Polish Film Festival                               

Movie lovers will not want to miss the Polish Film Festival on November 7th through 23rd at various locations such as the Muvico Rosemont 18, Facets Cinematheque, and Gallery Theatre The Society for Arts. The festival has received countless awards and phenomenal reviews. Student tickets are $14 for films and $9 for documentaries. The film schedule will be announced on September 30th.

12.   Ravenswood Artwalk               

On October 4th and 5th, the Ravenswood Artwalk aims to generate community investment in the arts and history of Ravenswood. The event will have live music, craft beer (21+ only!), food trucks, and artists displaying their work. $5 donation suggested upon entry.

13.   Humanities Festival

As college students, we’re trying to get an education by hopefully learning from a variety of different topics. The Humanities lectures feature several lectures from authors, scholars, artists, film makers, etc. The lectures run from October 25th to November 9th, and the tickets range from $12 to $20. Some lectures have discounted pricing for students. The lectures are located at various locations and times throughout Chicago. For more information on which lecture might interest you, visit Chicago Humanities!

14.   Andersonville Dessert Crawl

The Andersonville Dessert Crawl features my favorite meal of the day…dessert! On October 26th from 2pm to 5pm go “trick-or-treating with gourmet flair!” Each person gets a ticket to sample desserts from 24 participating restaurants in the Chicago’s Andersonville neighborhood. Tickets and complete information will be available in late September. However, as an estimate of ticket prices, last year’s cost was $20.

15.   Fashion Focus

Are you a fashionista? Fashion Focus showcases all the trending fashion in Chicago. On October 14th -19th there will be a variety of runway shows in the Chicago Cultural Center as well as in Millennium Park. There’s no price for admission or schedule posted yet, but the website says that updates will be coming soon.

So take a study break, grab your best friend, and go on one or a few of these windy city adventures. Who knows what new fall tradition is waiting for you!

Genesis is a Psychology major at UIC. She hopes to pursue a career in the business field, specifically in HR. She loves to travel, gain new experiences, bake, and watch the Bulls play.
UIC Contributor.