This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

A few days ago, I was browsing my Instagram feed when I came across the #bulletjournal hashtag. The more I browsed, the more intrigued I became. A bullet journal is a customizable planner that you make yourself to suit your needs. You can be as minimal as you want, or as decorated as you want.  

Here are some examples:

Being a college student means you have to stay on top of things 24/7. In order to do that, you need an effective planner system. What’s better than creating a personalized system tailored to your very own life and necessities?

Here are the most important benefits of having a bullet journal:

1. Customizability- Like I mentioned before, you can be as minimal and simple or you can go nuts and decorate your journal if that’s your taste. It’s YOUR journal and you can do whatever you want with it.

1. Flexibility-  The beauty of the bullet journal is that you can set it up the way you want to. Tha’s something you can’t do with an already-printed planner. You can start, stop, and start again whenever you want to. No need to fill out all the pages.

1. Habit Trackers- There are many habit trackers you can include in your journal. For example, water trackers, exercise log, reading log and etc. These can help you make sure to complete tasks you must do daily.

1. Affordability- Cute planners are nice and all, but they can get pretty pricey. With bullet journaling all you need is a journal and a pen.

Give bullet journaling a try! Who knows? You might find planner peace and your most effective planning system ever.

Madeline, also known as Maddie is a student at the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences. She is majoring in Spanish with a minor in Education. Maddie enjoys reading, wrting, and ballet. Follow her on Instagram: @maddieareyes
Irina Alejandro is a sophomore at the University of Houston, getting a major in political science and two minors women's studies and international affairs. In her spare time she loves singing loudly in the shower, forcing herself to workout, and talking excessively about politics. She also enjoys long walks on the beach, going to PTA meetings and crying over minor inconveniences. If you want to contact her for a date, leave a comment on one of her articles.