Take a Moment for Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

The celebration of Black people, our culture and our contributions to American society grew from humble beginnings. What we now know as Black History Month started as Negro History Week in February of 1926. The tradition, launched by African-American historian Carter G. Woodson, was expanded to the entire month of February and officially recognized by the U.S. government in 1976.

Black History Month aims to educate the public about the influence of African-Americans while also spotlighting notable individuals. Black history is rich and often ignored or taken for granted. African-Americans have made strides in the sciences and arts, and are responsible for many of the modern conveniences that we enjoy today such as traffic signals, home security systems and potato chips. President Gerald Ford said it best, “…we can seize the opportunity to honor the too-often neglected accomplishments of black Americans in every area of endeavor throughout our history.”

Black history is a shared history—one that all people should be exposed to. Its purpose is to enlighten and inspire people of all races, colors and creeds to create and explore new paths—toward scientific discovery, personal achievement or togetherness.

In light of recent racial controversies, Black History Month should serve as a beacon—a source of information—in the ongoing fight against injustice. It’s important to honor and learn from one’s past in order to secure a better future. Knowledge is a greater weapon than any rock, knife or gun.

BreeAngela Hamilton is a senior studying print journalism and computer graphics technology at the University of Houston. She is the Managing Editor of Her Campus UH. Her favorite pastimes include watching reruns of Law & Order: SVU and listening to music at a high volume while navigating traffic. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @breeelyse_.
"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions."