Renu Khator

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

It only seems fitting to make UH’s very own President and Chancellor our first Campus Celebrity! Before I can fully explain how wonderful Renu Khator is, can we take a moment to adore her beautiful name? Most universities are stuck with boring presidents’ names like Bob (no offense to the Bob’s out there), but UH has a President whose name sounds like a clothing line at New York Fashion Week. This fabulous woman has helped the University of Houston become an excellent institution for students to succeed, all while sporting her bright red outfits!

The diversity that the University of Houston is known for is a direct reflection of President Khator’s open arms to all on campus. She says, “We are founded on the promise of making education accessible to the average working class man and woman. With our efforts, we are proving each and every day that diversity and excellence are not mutually exclusive.” Such wise words from such a wise woman.

President Khator’s hard work shows her appreciation for education and the possibilities that it can provide. She began her career in higher education by earning her bachelor’s degree at the the University of Kanpur in India, and ending with her master’s degree and Ph.D. in political science at Purdue University.

On top of having received many awards for her successes, she has been awarded with a fantastic family consisting of her husband who is an associate dean at UH, and her two daughters who attended UH. I’m sure her family can attest to her kind heart and love for the University of Houston.

If you’ve been too shy to introduce yourself to President Khator on campus, you’ve been missing out on meeting a delightful woman. She is very friendly and always wants to know the students that make this campus great. The kindness and warmth that radiates from Renu Khator is something words cannot describe. We are fortunate as students to have a President who cares for her students, and sets an example for all of us to follow!

"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions."